Lets Talk Refractometers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.


Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Jan 4, 2008
I know this is a must have for a SW tank. There are so many brands to choose from. Is there one brand that people prefer over others? Any particular brand to stay away from?

I paid my refractometer 90$ at aquarium illusion in Edmonton. I"me trying to find the brand but I"m not sure. The only info on it is: SWC (brand name?) an an item number (RHS-10ATC).

Finally, Yes, a refractometer is a must. for twice the price you can also get an electronic one from american marine but honestly, I prefer to use my refractometer
It seems like there are so many out there. I didn't know enough about them to make a sound decision on my own. I don't need an electronic one or anything fancy. Just one that gets the job done and keeps my tank safe.
Check Ebay for one. As long as it is ATC (Automatic Temp Correction) you are good to go. There isn't a whole lot of difference in the "hobby" grade refracto's we use. However, I can not stress enough, the best investment along with your refracto is a $5 bottle of Salinity Calibration fluid. This stuff will insure when your refracto says 35 ppt, it really is 35 ppt.
As cccapt said the hobby grade we use are all pretty similar and as long as it is ATC and calibrated you should be fine. Be sure to get the calibration solution with it and buy a new bottle once a year to check it.

I do an occasional spot check with RODO water to make sure it reads at 0 but the only true calibration is by using the calibration fluid.
I have the same Refractometer as most everyone else. You can't beat the accuracy for $50 shipped. I use mine all the time.


Top Bottom