150 gallon cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rich4297

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 150 gallon tank 72" x18" x 29". I have an Oscar Texas cichlid blood parrot and black diamond cichlid. Just wondering how many more fish would be suitable. I have a sump with two overflows and a 375 gph canister. Also a power head for circulation.

Personally, I think with all those fish reaching adulthood, that you are maxed out. And when I mean by maxed out is that a single water change of 50%-75% once a week is not enough to keep nitrates below 20ppm.

But you could add more, if you are willing to do more water changes.

Is that a pure Texas Cichlid (Herichthys cyanoguttatus) or Green Texas Cichlid (Herichthys carpintis)?

How big are all of the fish?

I have a 150 gallon tank 72" x18" x 29". I have an Oscar Texas cichlid blood parrot and black diamond cichlid. Just wondering how many more fish would be suitable. I have a sump with two overflows and a 375 gph canister. Also a power head for circulation.

I would say you could do one more large fish i.e. Green Terrors, JD's, another Oscar etc. Possibly two but don't really know anything about Black Diamonds, how big they get etc.

Pure Texas. The fish are between 3 or 4 inches now. Black diamonds ( paratilapia pollini) get around 10"

I would honestly, and this is my own opinion, lose the blood parrot, and replace it with a more aggressive species, like a JD or a GT. BP's can't really defend themselves against larger aggressive fish due to genetic defects that don't allow them to close their mouths, thus taking away a cichlid's first line of defense: biting. I'm not going to play the whole "hybrid card", but I do think you may have issues in the long run with it getting bullied

I agree about the blood parrot. I didn't want one to begin with but my daughter wanted one, and continued to beg. She won, I do have a 50 gallon I could move it to if things get rough. I was thinking an electric blue jd, and maybe some firemouths.

I'd steer clear of the EBJD's, they are notoriously fragile and difficult to keep long term.

My mistake the height is 27". So maybe a jd and gt. I do two wc a week depending on nitrate level so I think I'm good there. The fish were in a 50 gallon. How about severums

I would just get a normal JD versus the EBJD. Not only are the EBJD frail but notoriously slow growers (4" in 2 years). If it is the blue color you like, you could try a Vieja Regani or Vieja Zonatus.

Agree about the Blood Parrot and I would get a normal JD and a Green Terror if it were me, I have one of each. Or get another Oscar.

Back
Top Bottom