20 gallon cichlid tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

manninge20

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help!!!!!!!!!
I've recently come across a 20 gallon aquarium with a 18" fluorescent bulb in its hood. The tank is pretty old and came with other objects such as a heater and filter which were so bad that I had to throw them out. I'm on a pretty small budget of $250. So DIY ideas would be great!!!!!!!

I probably will want to house a few rams or some other peaceful cichlids in there that won't fight. And insight or help would be greatly appreciated as will recommendations in aquarium equipment and other tools needed for the hobby.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and please reply!!!!!!

In a 20 gallon you could probably do some shellies from Lake Tanganiyka, or some South American dwarf cichlids.

imtcurveball said:
On a budget of 250 you could go on craigslist and get a 75 gallon with everything included or a brand new 55

This is true, I was just trying to work with his 20 gallon since he's 12 and doesn't have much money. But your right. A bigger tank of course would be best.

I have a 40 gallon and have spent way more than $250 on it! Not including the tank, stand, or hood! Not even including my canister filter! With a bigger tank comes more money for setting it up, stocking it, and maintaining it. Bigger is NOT always better ;)

Freakgecko91 said:
I have a 40 gallon and have spent way more than $250 on it! Not including the tank, stand, or hood! Not even including my canister filter! With a bigger tank comes more money for setting it up, stocking it, and maintaining it. Bigger is NOT always better ;)

All good points... He has some thinking to do.

I had a 20gal high for years! Upgraded to a 33 long and that clapsed...saved the fish and went out and bought a 36 bowfront.. But back to the original point, Some peacful cichlids are good, rams are amazing, but also maybe consider schooling fish, such as cardinal tetras, they are also amazing! With that size you are quited limited, doesnt nessasarily mean you cant do something spectacular. Personally i have only 3 mbuna (malawi) in my bowfront that ive had for at least 4 years! Its small but if your careful, you can do anything in moderation

Back
Top Bottom