135 gallon cichlid stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Markymark642

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,

Just wanted some confirmation that my stocking plans for the 135 gallon will work out.
5 geophagus
2 Eba
2 severums
1 chocolate cichlid
Then about a year later add a Tiger Oscar when other fish have matured.
Filtration system is:
Fx4
Fx6

Tanks is 72x18x24

Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

Just wanted some confirmation that my stocking plans for the 135 gallon will work out.
5 geophagus
2 Eba
2 severums
1 chocolate cichlid
Then about a year later add a Tiger Oscar when other fish have matured.
Filtration system is:
Fx4
Fx6

Tanks is 72x18x24

Any advice would be great!

Thanks in advance.
Depends on what species of Geophagus you get as to whether there will be room for the Oscar later. Also, what kind of Severums? For example: Heros notatus get to 10"-12" long, Heros severus get to 8"-10" while there are some varieties that barely reach 8". If you get a mated pair out of them, there won't be room for some of the fish already in there. Keep in mind that some of the species are more aggressive than others.

TBH, for a tank full of adult large sized cichlids, a 135 is really pushing it for territories. :whistle:

Depends on what species of Geophagus you get as to whether there will be room for the Oscar later. Also, what kind of Severums? For example: Heros notatus get to 10"-12" long, Heros severus get to 8"-10" while there are some varieties that barely reach 8". If you get a mated pair out of them, there won't be room for some of the fish already in there. Keep in mind that some of the species are more aggressive than others.

TBH, for a tank full of adult large sized cichlids, a 135 is really pushing it for territories. :whistle:
Hey,

Thanks for the advice.
I have seen lots of 125 gallons with similar setups. Cichlids bros on YouTube have similar.

You don't think a 135 is adequate for matured cichlids?

Hey,

Thanks for the advice.
I have seen lots of 125 gallons with similar setups. Cichlids bros on YouTube have similar.

You don't think a 135 is adequate for matured cichlids?

What I said was not enough space for the numbers of cichlids you are planning IF you get varieties that grow large or pair off to breed. There are plenty of cichlids that when mature, will do fine in a 135. Keep in mind tho that Oscars get very large. My buddy had a severum that was over 15". ( I can't recall the variety :( ) Breeding cichlids get extremely territorial. I've seen breeding pairs of Angelfish take over 1/2 of a 125 gallon tank. That's just the nature of many types of Cichlids. ( There are also cichlids that do not get as aggressive when breeding so I am talking about the varieties you mentioned. )
Here's a good video from Oliver Lucanis on different species of Geophagus which can help you decide which species to keep and which to avoid for a community setup. (y)

Back
Top Bottom