29 gal cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robbie84

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so I'm new here and have a question can I keep a electric yellow lab,a electric blue, four tiger barbs a pleco and two parrot fish and two frontosa cichlids o and a electric blue crayfish in a 29 gal tank for a bit till I can get a 55 or 75 gal tank for them they are all baby's and no bigger than 3 in long for now will this work ? And f:thanks:or how long??

Welcome to AA!

The stock list wouldn't work. Some of those shouldn't be stocked together. You need to stay with rift lakes or sa/ca and African riverine. They shouldn't be mixed for aggression purposes

What if I drop the parrot fish then will the rest work

Frontosa s need larger tanks than a 75gl. The prior post that mentioned the cookie cutter aquariums is a great way to start. A lot of people here do get hung up on mixing cichlids from the different continents. They believe it to be taboo but for the most part they are speaking from experience. the object is to learn from their experiences. We all have been there tempted by the misconception not in my tank they will all get along. Or the ever popular they are small fish now so I am keeping them in a 20 gl. Temporarily. Eventually I will get a 100 gl. That never comes. The fish stress out. You loose interest, because they start to die. Eventually the tank ends up on Craigslist. Anyways really check out the cookie cutter link. It will save you time, money and anxiety. Plus you'll end up with a cool well balanced tank.

This is my set up for now what if I just keep aferican cichlids from Wal-Mart I know people say not to use I'm not I'm just giving example like what if I just put mixed aferican cichlids in there how many I'm talkin ones that don't get more than 6in max

ForumRunner_20130513_053248.jpg

You should not mix african cichlids with other fish unless you have a lot of experience and you have a back up plan. The Africans will eventually kill everything, unless the crayfish kills them all first. If I were you I would not get add anything else and see how the current setups goes for a bit, work on getting that new tank, and put all the Africans in the new bigger tank and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom