Parrot cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GA anna

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've got a polar snow parrot cichlid and a polar blue parrot cichlid. They were both in the same tank and had babies several times. I had to remove the polar blue because it was eating the babies. Since doing so I was able to raise a few dozen and have taken them to the pet store for a store credit. Now I have the polar white parrot in the 29-gallon tank by itself and the polar blue still in the community 75-gallon tank. I did try to add the polar blue back, but the polar white attacked it. My question is what can I put with the polar white?

I've got a polar snow parrot cichlid and a polar blue parrot cichlid. They were both in the same tank and had babies several times. I had to remove the polar blue because it was eating the babies. Since doing so I was able to raise a few dozen and have taken them to the pet store for a store credit. Now I have the polar white parrot in the 29-gallon tank by itself and the polar blue still in the community 75-gallon tank. I did try to add the polar blue back, but the polar white attacked it. My question is what can I put with the polar white?

Unfortunately, with cichlids, once they start breeding, they become very territorial. You will probably have issues with anything you try to put in with it in such a small tank. Often, when cichlids first start breeding, they need to get used to new ways of doing things so new traits start to develop. They learn as they go with rearing fry. Eating the fry is usually a sign that the breeders are not getting enough food pre and post spawning. If you want to continue raising fry, I would try to reintroduce the fish back into the 75 and increase the amount of foods you feed during the day.
That said, you say the 75 is a "community " tank. What else is in the community?

2 black angel fish, 1 platinum gourami, 2 rainbows, 1 polar blue parrot, and 2 small Corydoras

2 black angel fish, 1 platinum gourami, 2 rainbows, 1 polar blue parrot, and 2 small Corydoras

So you have 2 cichlids ( the parrots and the Angelfish) that if they pair up to spawn, will become very territorial. That's going to make for a problem if you get other fish that like to use a lot of the tank. For now, I would add more of the same species of corydoras you already have as they do much better in larger schools (6-8+). After that, you will need to decide what you want to do with the other white parrotfish. If you want more babies to raise, that would be the only other fish I would put back into the community tank. For the 29, I'd leave that fish alone if you are not going to try for more fry or try to rehome it as putting other fish with it is going to be a real challenge and one that will probably end up with more dead fish before finding something that works. :(

Back
Top Bottom