30 gal setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends on what type of cichlid, there are over 100 species of them!

Was there a particular cichlid you had in mind?

I'm guessing your talking about african cichlids, probably mbuna. I wouldn't recommend these guys in a 30 tank. They need atleast a 4 ft long tank.

With a 30 you might think about some smaller cichlids like kribs or shell dwellers. The larger cichlids like mbuna are too aggressive for a 30. Need min of 4ft tank so like a 55 gal. With cichlids your tank footprint is more important than gallons

3-4 Africans would be sooo mean to each other.

You could do a few rams, apistos, or a few trios of shell dwelling cichlids like multies.

The reason you need a 4 ft. tank like a 55 gallon is because the African cichlids are pretty aggressive, get fairly large, and you need to overstock to prevent aggression.

How about like rams and gouramis? Would those work better?

Blockdude92 said:
How about like rams and gouramis? Would those work better?

Some say no, but I've had a gourami with my bolivian rams and haven't had even a hint if a problem. My gourami stays up top and in middle unless there's food on the bottom and my rams stay on the bottom unless they come up for flakes. I would recommend only having one gourami though because a lot if times they don't get along well with other gourami.

Back
Top Bottom