Stock Ideas / advice for a new 30GAL?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trolltek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently found myself back in the hobby after my daughter wanted a Betta around 6 months ago.

Currently have two 5 Gals. 1 is stocked with the betta the other one has some blue velvet and yellow goldenback (iirc) shrimps and 5 galaxy rasboras.

Got a new 30 GAL and am waiting on the lighting and canister to arrive. Currently been contemplating what to stock the 30 after its cycled. I've had Apistos in the past and also SA Cichlid's but am wanting to do something different this time around. Planning another 55 gal but that won't be until next Spring after we move. So not afraid to stock something that I could grow into and move to the 55 next spring. I do have options down the road..

Looking for advice on the following stock options as I've never had these fish
- Dwarf Gouramis ? what works for tank mates?
or
- Killifish ? what works for tank mates
or
-Puffers?

These are some ideas I've had. I'm looking for some activity in the tank and along with color. This will be a high tech tank planted tank. Recommendations appreciated!

Recently found myself back in the hobby after my daughter wanted a Betta around 6 months ago.

Currently have two 5 Gals. 1 is stocked with the betta the other one has some blue velvet and yellow goldenback (iirc) shrimps and 5 galaxy rasboras.

Got a new 30 GAL and am waiting on the lighting and canister to arrive. Currently been contemplating what to stock the 30 after its cycled. I've had Apistos in the past and also SA Cichlid's but am wanting to do something different this time around. Planning another 55 gal but that won't be until next Spring after we move. So not afraid to stock something that I could grow into and move to the 55 next spring. I do have options down the road..

Looking for advice on the following stock options as I've never had these fish
- Dwarf Gouramis ? what works for tank mates?
or
- Killifish ? what works for tank mates
or
-Puffers?

These are some ideas I've had. I'm looking for some activity in the tank and along with color. This will be a high tech tank planted tank. Recommendations appreciated!
What are the dimensions of this new tank? Gallons almost don't matter anymore with all the designer tanks that are extra tall ( so they don't have much swimming space) or extra wide ( which are better for swimmers but harder to see smaller fish) or extra long ( which are great for swimmers if they don't need height as well. ) :blink::blink:
I can tell you off the start that I'd stay away from the dwarf Gourami family ( blue, flame, honey, neon blue, red, and sunset) as they tend to be carrying a virus that has no cure so they are a ticking timebomb just waiting to go off. :(

The rest of the recommendations need your tank dimensions first. (y)

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, most barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

Back
Top Bottom