46g Cichlid tank---Yes or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been reading many different things. Some say minimum for Africans is 50, others say 30. Is it possible to have a 46g cichlid tank? If so, I won't be able to have much variety will I?

Moved to the Cichlid Forum.

You could, but IMO you won't be able to have a big variety. What is the length of the tank?

I think it would make a nice tank with Africans from Lake Tanganyika. Other folks will have to make suggestions, as I only keep Malawians. :) There are many Tangs that stay small enough for a 46g without being too overly aggressive.

Species such as Labs, Socolofi, Aceis, Cobalts, etc would be beautiful in the tank if you were going for Malawi Mbuna. If you are looking more towards other lakes, I don't have first hand experience and hopefully someone else will chime in.

Are you going for a planted tank? If so, Angels would be a nice choice in addition to Rams or Apistos.

Nope, just fake plants at the moment. I really like the majority of the Malawian's, and my LFS has a nice selection of them.

Check out what kind of stock they have available and what interests you and let us know. There are certain species that I wouldn't keep in a tank that is 36" in length because of their agressivness.

A lot of it depends on what colors you like. There are quite a few species that would work well in a tank that size. Ps. Saulosi or Ps. Demasoni species tank would work. You could do a group of 20 Saulosi....just make sure you get a decent M/F ratio. 4 females for every 1 male is a good guideline to follow. You could also do 12-15 Demasoni with a group of 5-6 Yellow Labs as well.

What about the Electric Yellow ones? Idk if that is their name but all my LFS's have a nice selection of them.

Fishyfanatic said:
Species such as Labs, Socolofi, Aceis, Cobalts, etc would be beautiful in the tank if you were going for Malawi Mbuna.

Marconis said:
What about the Electric Yellow ones? Idk if that is their name but all my LFS's have a nice selection of them.

Those would be the labs which fishyfanatic was speaking of. And dont Aceis get like 7", wouldent they be too big?

Most sites I've seen say Acei get 6 inches, but I've never kept them, so I don't have experience with them.

I'd stick with the lesser aggressive Mbuna, like Yellow labs (aka Electric Yellows), Rusty Cichlids, and maybe Cobalts (not sure on their aggression level), and/or some Malawian Peacocks. Or go with a species tank of Saulosi or Demasoni.

Socolofis IMO are too aggressive for a 3ft tank.

Acei's as far as I know do not grow to 7 inches. We have 4 grown adults and they are about 5". I meant Saulosi, not Socolofi. My mind wandered for a moment there.

Cobalts are not aggressive in the slightest. They are just as peaceful as Labs and Acei's, if not even more peaceful.

Alright, I am actually pretty excited that I get to have Cichlids :). The Acei's are BEAUTIFUL.

What would be considered overstocking with these guys?

I'm going to have to disagree slightly, a friend of mine has acei 'msuli' around the 7" mark in his 10foot malawi display.
Took him a few years and alot of attention to get them there though.
IME they are not entirely peaceful. They tend to stay generally calm but can have a real mean streak when harrased. Having said that, who knows what characteristics your future fish will have.

Have you considered an all male display? That way aggression is minimalised as breeding display/instinct will not come out, and you get the option of keeping a larger variety.

Yeah I don't mind having all males. As long as I can have nice variety and a peaceful tank idc.

Malawi Mayhem and Cichlid Forum both list max size of 5 inches for regular Acei. I think you'll be good to go. Find out what is available to you and go from there. We had a very hard time coming across Aceis and Cobalts but they are widely available in other areas. Good Luck.

I would suggest looking at Tangs since Malawi's tend to be larger and have a greater chance of be territorial and aggressive. I had about 26 juvi malawi in my 135gal, they were about 1.5-2.0 inches each, they were fine until they got larger and maybe once every 3-4 months they find a wipping boy/girl and harrass them to the point they are stressed and sick, I have to remove them and heal them up in the hospital tank for a few weeks and put them back in when I do a larger water change. It's usually a different fish each time and I am able to catch it soon enough.

I would suggest looking at Tangs since Malawi's tend to be larger and have a greater chance of be territorial and aggressive. I had about 26 juvi malawi in my 135gal, they were about 1.5-2.0 inches each, they were fine until they got larger and maybe once every 3-4 months they find a wipping boy/girl and harrass them to the point they are stressed and sick, I have to remove them and heal them up in the hospital tank for a few weeks and put them back in when I do a larger water change. It's usually a different fish each time and I am able to catch it soon enough. I mainly have Elec Yellows, Red Zebras, Kenyi, Cobalt Zebras, and another group I can't recall.

Back
Top Bottom