Multis and Brichardis in 70L?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ad_ii1307

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, i am planning on getting a new tank but I only have the space for max a 70L tank (about 18.5-19 gallons). The dimensions of the tank are 24 x 12 x 16 inches. Anyway, I really want to try African cichlids. I know that my choices are rather limited as most African cichlids require a larger tank then mine. I knew that shell dwellers would work nice in a tank my size. Here in Australia shell dwellers are generally very expensive, anywhere from $30-$50 generally. However I know that I don't have many other options so i decided on getting a few multis which I am very excited for. As I was doing some research I saw a species that really caught my eye - N Brichardi. This is such a mesmerizing fish and I am still in awe about how beautiful it is lmao. It there any way that I may be able to house a small colony (around 4-6 to begin with) of N multifaciatus and a pair of N Brichardi in my tank? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Hey guys, i am planning on getting a new tank but I only have the space for max a 70L tank (about 18.5-19 gallons). The dimensions of the tank are 24 x 12 x 16 inches. Anyway, I really want to try African cichlids. I know that my choices are rather limited as most African cichlids require a larger tank then mine. I knew that shell dwellers would work nice in a tank my size. Here in Australia shell dwellers are generally very expensive, anywhere from $30-$50 generally. However I know that I don't have many other options so i decided on getting a few multis which I am very excited for. As I was doing some research I saw a species that really caught my eye - N Brichardi. This is such a mesmerizing fish and I am still in awe about how beautiful it is lmao. It there any way that I may be able to house a small colony (around 4-6 to begin with) of N multifaciatus and a pair of N Brichardi in my tank? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!
In my experience, the tank is too small for the brichardis. They need much more space and rock cover. I'd stick with the multis and enjoy looking at the shells. ;) (y)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Neolamprologus brichardi are extremely territorial when breeding and their territory grows as their family grows. I would not keep them in anything smaller than a 3ft tank and I would not keep them with any other fish. They are just too aggressive when breeding.

Make sure the water is hard (GH 300-400ppm, pH 7.8-8.5).

You need a minimum of a 55g tank for both Multies and Brichardis, and that's if you have rocks on one end, shells on the other, and a wide expanse of sand in the middle. The Multies are fine in a 10g if you've only got a few and only one of them is male. You need at least 3-4 shells per Multi.

Multies also have major attitude problems. I had a group of them in a 60g, with fine sand, used a canister filter, and had a sponge I cut a slit into to prevent them from spitting and getting the sand into the filter.The male loved to get a mouthful of sand, swim up to the top of the sponge on the intake, and spit it out directly in the slit that I placed the filter's intake, essentially spitting the sand directly into the filter. He earned a name, but it wasn't a very nice one...

Back
Top Bottom