55 gallon Lake Malawi Biotope construction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not going to get the rocks today. My plan is to go to a local river tomorrow and gather large river rocks. Then i i will soak them in white vinegar, scrub them and boil them. I was wondering how long should i boil them and soak them in Vinegar?
Thanks
Eli

I got my rocks from a local landscaping company. Hand picked my rocks and filled a 5 gal bucket for $5. Rocks were washed. Of course I washed them again in baking soda and water. It worked for me.

Thanks for the idea. I did not go to the river today because i could not find a good spot to get rocks. I am not sure if there is a local landscape company around that has rocks we can get for $5.00. The tank looks nice. What kind of cichlids do you have and how many? Do you think that you could post a photo of the whole tank?
Eli

VTFish said:
Thanks for the idea. I did not go to the river today because i could not find a good spot to get rocks. I am not sure if there is a local landscape company around that has rocks we can get for $5.00. The tank looks nice. What kind of cichlids do you have and how many? Do you think that you could post a photo of the whole tank?
Eli

120 lbs of rock @ 13 cents per pound = $15.60 at the local landscaping shop makes a bunch of nice little caves for your finned friends. Of course that could be excessive for what you want.

image-1171606933.jpg

VTFish said:
Cool! My tank is not going to have plants and i do not want as many rocks. Here is a link to the photo of a different tank that i sort of want it to look like except much smaller of course. http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2011/Big/89.jpg
Eli

That's a very nice looking layout. Nice and natural looking. I used the big silk plants to cover intakes and outlets, then the Java Fern to balance it out. I would not have included either if I was able to deal with seeing my plumbing. Good luck on your design, I'm sure it will turn out great.

Eli

Right now I have:
5 Yellow Labs (3 Female 2 Male) ? Very small hard to tell
5 Cobalt Blue (? Small)
3 Acei (1 male 2 Female)
3 Afra Cobue (1 Male 2 Female)
Feather Fin Catfish

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 142
  • lab.jpg
    lab.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Cyno afra.jpg
    Cyno afra.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 112
  • cobalt.jpg
    cobalt.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 100
Thanks for the comment! I appreciate it. Soon i will get the rocks and post a photo of the tank when it is finished.

Cool tank Luke! I think i will have yellow lab cichlids about 5 or six and i am not sure what else maybe just that species.

VTFish said:
Cool tank Luke! I think i will have yellow lab cichlids about 5 or six and i am not sure what else maybe just that species.

That would certainly be a safe setup. You can have more than 5 or 6 in a 55. 10-12 Labs would not be too much for a 55, properly filtered and with weekly PWCs.

First i will start with 5 or 6 yellow labs and then maybe add a few more.Do you know of any other cichlids that would be good with the yellow labs in the 55 gallon?
Thanks
Eli

First i will start with 5 or 6 yellow labs and then maybe add a few more.Do you know of any other cichlids that would be good with the yellow labs in the 55 gallon?
Thanks
Eli

I love the contrast of the Labs and the Acei looks good in the tank. You could do 3 or 4 with the Labs...I wouldn't do any more than that because they get pretty big (around 6"). Acei are very calm fish...at least mine are.

Attachments

• acei.jpg
    acei.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 447
Thanks
I am gong to add lots more rocks. That is just the first few rocks that i put in to see how it looks. First i have to wash them and then put them back in and after put more rocks.
Eli

This is the tank with more rocks in it. Please tell me what you think.
Thanks

63514-albums9704-picture39419.jpg

VTFish said:
This is the tank with more rocks in it. Please tell me what you think.
Thanks

I like it, maybe curve the scape over to the right side and around the wall?

Thanks i appreciate the comment. I think i will try making a curve to the right side and around the wall. Do you think it is high enough for the cichlids?
Eli

VTFish said:
Thanks i appreciate the comment. I think i will try making a curve to the right side and around the wall. Do you think it is high enough for the cichlids?
Eli

Tall enough yes but just to break it up why not some tall towers? Just a thought

Back
Top Bottom