Adding Aquarium salt to African Cichlid tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ditosdad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wanted to know if and how much aquarium salt would be ok to add to an African Cichlid aquarium? Its a 40 gal tank by the way!

I use roughly a tablespoon per 5 gallons anytime I change water but never on top offs because like a saltwater tank evaporation doesn't remove salt just water

mfdrookie516 said:
Salt is for certain diseases, french fries, and saltwater tanks.

+1. Lol. Salt is unnecessary unless treating disease. There is debate that adding aquarium salt will actually cause (or at least assist in causing) Malawi bloat. Epsom salt is a different story...

How many of you use cichlid salt vs using nothing? What are the benefits and concerns with using cichlid salt?

Thanks!

CraigMac said:
How many of you use cichlid salt vs using nothing? What are the benefits and concerns with using cichlid salt?

Thanks!

I only add it if there is an ick or fungal outbreak. After it clears I cycle it out by degrees. Google "Ick Salt and Heat Treatment" for a detailed reason as to how and why it is effective in treating ick. Note that it effects Ick, not the fish directly. I don't believe there are any benefits at all directly to the fish to add salt.

Cichlids salt contains elements that help bring out their colors and is a buffer to maintain ph levels. I like to keep my ph higher than most at 8.4.

Adding aquarium salt is only going to make your water brackish.

Back
Top Bottom