African Cichlid Swimming sideways? Cause for concern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Valerie08

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright so I've only started keeping fish for the last 2 years, and 3 days ago I just got 3 African Cichlids. (2 Purple, 1 Yellow) And One of my purple ones, has been gravitating to behind the filter, in the top corner of the tank next to the heater, just barely swimming. Mostly having its head keeping the body afloat. Not actually floating, but just on the edge. He hasn't eaten since bringing him home. Both other fish are perfectly fine. Although one is a tat aggressive. The Temperature is at 78-82. and the PH is correct. Am I doing something wrong??
Is this a issue caused by the fish-shop? Please help!! :fish1: :( :ermm:

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What fishes are in the tank besides the cichlids.
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

Can you post a picture showing the entire aquarium?

Can you post pictures of all the fish or a video of the fish?
Upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.
If you use a mobile phone to film the fish, hold the phone horizontally (landscape mode) so the footage fills the entire screen and you don't get black bars on either side.

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).
African Rift Lake cichlids need a GH above 300ppm and a pH above 7.6, depending on which lake they come from.

-----------------

The fish could be getting picked on and is hiding from the bully, or it could have a health issue. If it is new and you have only had it a few days and it's doing this now, the fish either had the health issue at the shop and they should swap it for a healthy one, or it is being bullied.

Back
Top Bottom