African Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Creedy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I'm thinking about setting up my new 4ft 150 litre aquirium for African cichlids and was wanting advice on set up and what fish to get. I've done a lot of research but just wanted some extra advice.
Cheers.

Have read and been told not to mix African with any other, but I thought I would risk it as wanted colourful and a lot of movement, the only issue I have had is my geophagus and green terror have had issues. My yellow lab keeps everyone else in check. I even have fiddler crabs and a blue lobster in there

Yeah I know not to mix, already have a different tank for American cichlids anyway. This one is for Africans only.

I'm doing that right now with my 150 gal. Actually, I'm stocking it and currently letting the tank catch up. I decided to go with a all male peacock show tank. Probably also have some haps and a frontosa. I bought all this rock and finally had the guy from our LFS arrange it for me. I'm really glad I did as he did some things I wouldn't have thought of.
I'll post a separate thread when I get it stocked.

Be nice to see it, would post pic here but u sure how to do it

Do you know if you want Malawi or Tanganyikan

Malawi,
5 -7 x male peacocks would look nice
or
10-12 x Mbuna

Tanganyika

Tretacephalus, Leleupi, compressiceps, and calvus are all cool

Shelies I dont know anything about them but people like keeping them

Bracardi daffadoli are really great for breading they are great parents.

I'm thinking mainly peacocks but I don't like some of the mbunas, especially the johanni and pearl of likoma. How many male and female peacocks could I keep in a tank this size?

Do like some of the mbunas, didn't mean to put don't

I'm thinking mainly peacocks but I don't like some of the mbunas, especially the johanni and pearl of likoma. How many male and female peacocks could I keep in a tank this size?

You could keep 5-7 male peacocks or 2 breeding trios 1 male to at minimum 2-3 females 3 being better. Make sure they are the same type of peacock because they will interbreed.

If I got 2 breeding trio's of peacocks could I put a couple of johannis with them? Or is it better not to?

If I got 2 breeding trio's of peacocks could I put a couple of johannis with them? Or is it better not to?

I have been told it is better not to. I have not tried it myself because I am not a fan of Mbuna. Some will say absolutely not others will say they have done it. They do come from different parts (depths) of the lake, eat differently and behave differently. Johannis especially have a much more aggressive temperament.

With breeding trios you are going to have other aggression issues to deal with when they start to breed so I would suggest no.

I don't know what you do or do not know about peacocks but when planning this set up you should know that the females are all a brownish grey color. The males are the only one with the nice colors. Some people don't like that and go for an all male tank.

I went for all male because I like all the nice colors and there is less aggression when there are no females to compete over. Just some food for thought.

I've heard the females can be less colourful. Think I'll probably go for all males. Thanks for the advise.

I would not suggest peacocks in a 40 gallon tank. I would go for smaller dwarf cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom