African Cichlids in a 29 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had an old thread about this, but it was too old and wouldn't let me reply.

I have a 29 gallon planted tank that I'm thinking about changing into a single species African Cichlid tank. My water is naturally rock steady at 7.8 PH and is quite hard, so African Cichlids seem a perfect fit.

So, first question... is a 29 gallon even advisable if I just keep a pair or maybe a trio of a smaller species? I know all about the shell dwellers, and that's definitely a possibility, but I'm curious about something like Afra Cobues, Kenyi, or Demasoni. Opinions? Options? Thanks in advance.

I had an old thread about this, but it was too old and wouldn't let me reply.

I have a 29 gallon planted tank that I'm thinking about changing into a single species African Cichlid tank. My water is naturally rock steady at 7.8 PH and is quite hard, so African Cichlids seem a perfect fit.

So, first question... is a 29 gallon even advisable if I just keep a pair or maybe a trio of a smaller species? I know all about the shell dwellers, and that's definitely a possibility, but I'm curious about something like Afra Cobues, Kenyi, or Demasoni. Opinions? Options? Thanks in advance.

it isn't recommended to keep africans in anything less than a 4 foot tank, they are aggressive and highly territorial. That being said I have friends who keep species only tanks in 40 breeders.

A 29 is pretty small, but if your only keeping a pair or trio of dwarf mbuna it should work, just make sure they have plenty of hiding places. Also make sure you get 1 male and 2 females.

no kenyi's, no demasoni..cobues would be your best bet and are one of my fav fish

Thanks Quest. Good advice. Yeah... As soon as I researched the cobue and saw a picture, I said yep, that's for me. Lol.

I know a 29 is not ideal. I go back and forth all the time on what I want to do with this tank since it's my only option at the moment. No room in our small house for anything else. I'll probably end up going with a pair of Kribensis, or else some shell Dwellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fish in the genus Pelvicachromis are actually West African Riverine cichlids and prefer softer water to their Rift lake counter parts. However they maybe able to adapt to water with higher GH/KH and TDS.

Honestly your tank is not ideal for for Lake Malawi cichlids, you maybe able to get away with smaller Lake Tanganyika or Victoria cichlids.

I believe that a pair of West African cichlids would do nicely in a 29 gallon. Look at Pelvicachromis taeniatus, very cool fish also has 4-5 locational color variants.

If you think you can only fit a 29 in a house, you should see the 2 bedroom apartment I share with a roommate. It's tiny and I still have a 120 gallon, 75 gallon, 3x 20 gallons, and a 10 gallon. Just tore down a 39 gallon column too lol it's not about not having the space, it's about how crazy you are ;)

If you think you can only fit a 29 in a house, you should see the 2 bedroom apartment I share with a roommate. It's tiny and I still have a 120 gallon, 75 gallon, 3x 20 gallons, and a 10 gallon. Just tore down a 39 gallon column too lol it's not about not having the space, it's about how crazy you are ;)

I don't feel so crazy anymore.

I have over 700 gallons of tanks in a 10x11' bed room, jus saying.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I love my dragons, although I found my female dead today...pretty broken up about it

Fish in the genus Pelvicachromis are actually West African Riverine cichlids and prefer softer water to their Rift lake counter parts. However they maybe able to adapt to water with higher GH/KH and TDS.

Honestly your tank is not ideal for for Lake Malawi cichlids, you maybe able to get away with smaller Lake Tanganyika or Victoria cichlids.

I believe that a pair of West African cichlids would do nicely in a 29 gallon. Look at Pelvicachromis taeniatus, very cool fish also has 4-5 locational color variants.

Thanks. Yeah, I think something like them or Kribensis might be what I end up going with unless I opt for some small shellies. Decisions decisions...

Skip the kribs and go with one of the other species, at least then any fry will have resale value.

Back
Top Bottom