African vs American

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
Been perusing the cichlid section for a while. I bought some aqualog books at a recommendation from a user on here. Just the SA set atm.

When I see the name of a fish I haven't heard of I look it up then read up on it. Just my way of learning.

I haven't had much use out of the books so far, because the vast majority of users it would seem own African cichlids. I just wanted to hear what people thoughts were on why they preferred African over SA or vice versa. Are SA too boring or not colourful enough?

Opinions please :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There are many people here that like new world cichlids. I like new world cichlids because certain species display beautiful colors.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks bettaowner. I'd just like to point out to other people that the boring and colourless quotes were just examples. Not my own opinions.

Old World all the way.

A decent and looked-after AC tank can rival any marine setup.

Yes, you may get more in the colour and shape aspect with SA's but the attitude and interactions you can have with AC's is just unmatched anywhere else in the hobby.

I like to see AC's more as pets rather than a display.

Thanks for your input. I haven't had enough experience with cichlids to make an informed judgement.

I guess people who have kept both with say that they are both as unique and equally as interesting with their own pros and cons.

From a visual perspective, every time I go in to an LFS the AC tanks look like a scalextric track with the cars constantly looping round as the fish chase each other. Looks a little too busy for me. Beautiful fish though. I know these tanks are overstocked too. The SA tanks just seem a lot calmer. Again this is just strictly a visual thing.

I like new world cichlids because larger species like oscars or jaguars tend to have pet like qualities. I like mbuna cichlids because they are bold and interesting to watch. I also like tanganykian species because they have unique adaptations and display interesting behavior. In the end, I really like all cichlids because they seem so human like. They display intelligence, personality, and aggression the same way a human would. We could learn a lot from them in my opinion.

I like new world cichlids because larger species like oscars or jaguars tend to have pet like qualities. I like mbuna cichlids because they are bold and interesting to watch. I also like tanganykian species because they have unique adaptations and display interesting behavior. In the end, I really like all cichlids because they seem so human like. They display intelligence, personality, and aggression the same way a human would. We could learn a lot from them in my opinion.

Some Haps get just as big as Oscars ya know.

I guess to each his own..

They might get as long as an oscar but do they really get as tall as an oscar? Plus african cichlids have no personality. Funny how you didnt make a smart alec comment on the jags did ya

They might get as long as an oscar but do they really get as tall as an oscar? Plus african cichlids have no personality. Funny how you didnt make a smart alec comment on the jags did ya

Well someone got out of bed on the wrong side...

Africans have no personality? HAHA

People like you do my head in..
Jog on.

You really can't ask a question like this, seeing as everyone will give you different answers. The best way to find out for yourself is to dive in and test each group out. I like peaceful south/central americans, and I also like Tanganyikans. However, I've never been a big fan of mbuna, as I prefer more subtle colors and a less busy aquarium. I do like tanganyikans a lot, as there are species that range from smallest species in the world (n. multifasciatus and similis), to one of the biggest (emperor cichlid). A cichlid species also fills nearly every niche of the ecosystem, from grazers, to predators, to even schoolers. Very interesting fish in my opinion.

You really can't ask a question like this, seeing as everyone will give you different answers. The best way to find out for yourself is to dive in and test each group out. I like peaceful south/central americans, and I also like Tanganyikans. However, I've never been a big fan of mbuna, as I prefer more subtle colors and a less busy aquarium. I do like tanganyikans a lot, as there are species that range from smallest species in the world (n. multifasciatus and similis), to one of the biggest (emperor cichlid). A cichlid species also fills nearly every niche of the ecosystem, from grazers, to predators, to even schoolers. Very interesting fish in my opinion.

Not all questions end with the same answer. In this case, it's good to learn about what people have found out about each types as well as getting ideas from people who have kept both. It's a completely valid question but I wasn't really expecting the SA clan and the AC massive to taking parting shots at each other either. You still proceeded to answer the question ;) it was a good informative answer. So thanks for that. People's opinions help the neutral learn more from what people have found for themselves.

What I was trying to say is you really need to find what you like for yourself, as you will get a different answer from everyone. Never meant that it wasn't a valid question, just that it more than likely won't really help you one way or the other, not to mention this site is heavily favored towards malawi tanks unfortunately, so you won't get the views from other areas, like madagascan cichlids, asian (only a few species), west african, lake victoria, etc.

What I was trying to say is you really need to find what you like for yourself, as you will get a different answer from everyone. Never meant that it wasn't a valid question, just that it more than likely won't really help you one way or the other, not to mention this site is heavily favored towards malawi tanks unfortunately, so you won't get the views from other areas, like madagascan cichlids, asian (only a few species), west african, lake victoria, etc.

I will find out for myself eventually. Just collecting some background information. The point of this post really is because I have noticed that the forum is heavily favoured to African cichlids. I'm just trying to find out why that is. What do people like about them? Why are there less people who keep SA? That kind of thing.

Generally, people go to Malawian cichlids because they feature bright colors and a wide variety. Many south/central american cichlids (certainly not all) are going to feature much more subtle colors, which don't grab the attention of new keepers as easily. They also usually grow into their colors, so all a person sees in a tank is a bunch of greyish fish generally. It's unfortunate, south america has so many awesome species to offer, central america too.

Generally, people go to Malawian cichlids because they feature bright colors and a wide variety. Many south/central american cichlids (certainly not all) are going to feature much more subtle colors, which don't grab the attention of new keepers as easily. They also usually grow into their colors, so all a person sees in a tank is a bunch of greyish fish generally. It's unfortunate, south america has so many awesome species to offer, central america too.

Haha yes I noticed this too. My firemouths have been described as one of the ugliest juveniles but one of the most beautiful adults. Things like this help.

Many fish stores also don't offer as wide of a variety as they do mbuna. Firemouths, convicts, jack dempseys, oscars. That's generally it.

Many fish stores also don't offer as wide of a variety as they do mbuna. Firemouths, convicts, jack dempseys, oscars. That's generally it.

Yep noticed that too. But that's what gets me there's just not as much demand for SA/CA's

Lets not forget about discus, angels, apistogramma and other dwarf cichlids from SA. I'm not really a big fw fish person but I love apistos, rams, discus, and angels. Never liked mbuna as I find them kinda boring lol.

I've kept many different Old world and new world cichlids over the last 25+ years but I always go back to the big SA's for the personality. The wild caught orbicularis oscar I have right now has the most personality of any fish I've kept.

I've kept many different Old world and new world cichlids over the last 25+ years but I always go back to the big SA's for the personality. The wild caught orbicularis oscar I have right now has the most personality of any fish I've kept.

Got a pic of that Lil guy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom