Aggression during feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aspencer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do cichlids get more aggressive during feeding and bully their tankmates and then calm down later as a rule?

Cichlids defines a broad spectrum of fish so as a whole not really, but with some speices certainly. I have fish that kill no matter what so each species is truly different.

Cichlids defines a broad spectrum of fish so as a whole not really, but with some speices certainly. I have fish that kill no matter what so each species is truly different.
Again I am talking about my Kribs...when I get to the tank and feed, male chases female with vigor and she goes in a cave under big rock that she dug out in the sand...later, she is out and feeding on the bottom and the male does not chase her as vigorously. He is about 2.5 inches and she is 2. They have been together for a month now.

I agree with Hukit, but if you happen to be referring to your kribs... totally normal, especially if you are feeding a floating food or flake with a school of tetra. Try a sinking pellet fed on the opposite end of the tank from the flake. Always be careful not to overfeed. JMO

I feed NLS sinking pellets but the Tetras get to them first when sinking...I have bigger Cichlid pellets that sink faster and the Tetras do not like them much but their makeup is practically the same...protein is 38 rather than 36%.

The Kribs ignore/live peacefully never chasing the Tetras and the female lives with the Kuhli loaches in the same dug out cave.

I wish they were a happy couple always swimming around together...I guess that is not their nature..

Back
Top Bottom