Mixing Demasoni with Acaras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samual

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have recently picked up a 55 gallon aquarium and have lined up the purchase of 10 Demasoni and 18 Blue Acara.

All are juvenile. Is this appropriate? I plan to move some of the Acara to a second tank at a later date and have a Demasoni only tank or introduce another species of African cichlid should aggression arise from the Demasoni.

Any and all advice is appreciated as this would be my first time owning cichlids other than Kribensis in a community tank.

If Acara are not a suitable fit with Demasoni what would be suitable cichlid specie or species to put in with the Demasoni?

Thanks in advance :fish1::dance:

I have recently picked up a 55 gallon aquarium and have lined up the purchase of 10 Demasoni and 18 Blue Acara.

All are juvenile. Is this appropriate? I plan to move some of the Acara to a second tank at a later date and have a Demasoni only tank or introduce another species of African cichlid should aggression arise from the Demasoni.

Any and all advice is appreciated as this would be my first time owning cichlids other than Kribensis in a community tank.

If Acara are not a suitable fit with Demasoni what would be suitable cichlid specie or species to put in with the Demasoni?

Thanks in advance :fish1::dance:
First off, you are mixing an African cichlid with a South American cichlid so their water requirements are different. The Africans should be in harder (10-18 GH) alkaline water (7.5- 8.5 Ph ) while the Acaras should be in softer ( 2-10 gh) more slightly acidic to slightly alkaline water (6.5-7.5 Ph). So to properly raise the acaras will hurt the Demasoni and to properly keep the Demasomi, you will be hurting the Acaras. No matter what size they are.
So if you have the ability, I'd either use separate tanks or cancel one of them.

To help keep the peace with the Demansoni, you should have a moderate current in the tank and a lot of rock cover for hiding in. The Acaras don't need the water action ( although they can adapt) but will rearrange the rock decor so you want to have large rocks that they can't move or won't fall off a ledge should they dig out the substrate from under what is holding up the ledge.

So you can see, these are not a good mix. If you go with the Acaras, 18 in a 55 is too many as the fish will get to 6"-8" and need swimming space. With the Demansoni, they will need more hiding spots than open swimming space. In a 55, the 10 will be close to a limit so adding another specie will probably not work in the long run.

Hope this helps. (y)

First off, you are mixing an African cichlid with a South American cichlid so their water requirements are different. The Africans should be in harder (10-18 GH) alkaline water (7.5- 8.5 Ph ) while the Acaras should be in softer ( 2-10 gh) more slightly acidic to slightly alkaline water (6.5-7.5 Ph). So to properly raise the acaras will hurt the Demasoni and to properly keep the Demasomi, you will be hurting the Acaras. No matter what size they are.
So if you have the ability, I'd either use separate tanks or cancel one of them.

To help keep the peace with the Demansoni, you should have a moderate current in the tank and a lot of rock cover for hiding in. The Acaras don't need the water action ( although they can adapt) but will rearrange the rock decor so you want to have large rocks that they can't move or won't fall off a ledge should they dig out the substrate from under what is holding up the ledge.

So you can see, these are not a good mix. If you go with the Acaras, 18 in a 55 is too many as the fish will get to 6"-8" and need swimming space. With the Demansoni, they will need more hiding spots than open swimming space. In a 55, the 10 will be close to a limit so adding another specie will probably not work in the long run.

Hope this helps. (y)

I had not even taken the different Ph into consideration. :thanks:

Back to the drawing board I think. If you have any suggestions for a mixed cichlid tank. Or a full community list that would be greatly appreciated. I am getting to the point where I am confused and somewhat overwhelmed. :nono:

I had not even taken the different Ph into consideration. :thanks:

Back to the drawing board I think. If you have any suggestions for a mixed cichlid tank. Or a full community list that would be greatly appreciated. I am getting to the point where I am confused and somewhat overwhelmed. :nono:

You need to decide if you want to go South/Central American types or African types. The mixes will be different depending on which you choose.
One thing to keep in mind is that Africans, while territorial, can be overcrowded to help diminish the aggression. South and Central American cichlids are very territorial so you need to spread them out as overcrowding them will result in a bunch of beaten up or dead fish. :eek:

You need to decide if you want to go South/Central American types or African types. The mixes will be different depending on which you choose.
One thing to keep in mind is that Africans, while territorial, can be overcrowded to help diminish the aggression. South and Central American cichlids are very territorial so you need to spread them out as overcrowding them will result in a bunch of beaten up or dead fish. :eek:

I am thinking Electric Yellow Labidochromis Caeruleus. Now just to research a sweet spot for tank load.

Thanks for your guidance, greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom