Algae in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duddits

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55g tank with 2 giant danios and 5 2" African cichlids. Tank is set up with a 75g wet/dry filter, 1 power sweep power head, sand, 5-6 large rocks and a few artificial plants. I have a pc light 4x45 with moon lights. The fish are fed twice a day. Flakes in the morning and frozen at night. The lights are on from 9-9. I have brown algae that grows in the sand and on the glass. How to I stop it? Are the lights too strong for a cichlid tank? I see the same set up in others tanks and their water is crystal clear and the sand is bright white. How do I keep mine like that?

I read that having the timer cut off the lights for a couple hours during the day would break up the algae growth cycle. Also, I just bought one of those magnet glass cleaners. It is a bit of a pain but works like a charm.

Oh is 8.0, 0 nitrates and nitrites, temp is at 78. Not sure of the hardness of the water though. Fish are thriving and happy though

Bbush said:
I read that having the timer cut off the lights for a couple hours during the day would break up the algae growth cycle. Also, I just bought one of those magnet glass cleaners. It is a bit of a pain but works like a charm.

I use a magfloat and that's fine for the glass. My trouble is the brown algae in the sand

Duddits said:
Oh is 8.0, 0 nitrates and nitrites, temp is at 78. Not sure of the hardness of the water though. Fish are thriving and happy though

What's at 8?
Nitrates are 0?

OBEYtheFISH said:
What's at 8?
Nitrates are 0?

I would assume the ph is 8. I have the same problem. My lights are on a couple hours a day and my params are good. I started liking it after a while. I scrape the glass but leave it on the deco. Africans will graze on it so i left it for them. I figure it is closer to what they have to eat in nature.

Back
Top Bottom