Am I paying too much for male breeder Malawi cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey so I picked up 4 breeder males. 1 sunshine, 1 carolinae jake jumbo, 1 white blaze lithobates, 1 flame tail.... here is a picture of the reciept and pics of the fish.

Attachments

• display pics 007.jpg
    display pics 007.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 137
  • display pics 003.jpg
    display pics 003.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 131
  • display pics 030.jpg
    display pics 030.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 129
  • display pics 018.jpg
    display pics 018.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 128
Are these wild or f1? I think you over paid imo. But if its worth it to you and your happy that's all that matters. They are very nice fish

I figure $140-170

Last edited:
they are imported not sure from where I will ask next time. I think I have 16 breeder males now. I think the three are from two first generation fish. I have seen some of the imported males my store has that breeds them. they said I have three of the same generation. I spent about $1,600 on these fish all 16 of them.

The price of wild are way up and lower slightly on f1 after that the price drops a ton. For wilds its really not a bad.price I don't think. For f1 hmmm can't really say for nether of those its a bad price imo.

Most of those sell at that size at $30-60 a piece as wild on aqua bid

they are imported not sure from where I will ask next time. I think I have 16 breeder males now. I think the three are from two first generation fish. I have seen some of the imported males my store has that breeds them. they said I have three of the same generation. I spent about $1,600 on these fish all 16 of them.

You need to keep a record of the fish name and generation so you remember if the time ever comes of needing to sell off some.

Yep because they will sell for a good amount of money. So two.wild caught have fry they would be sold as f1 and you can put that on the sellers write up

Unless there is proof from a reputable importer that would be a lie, with this type of demand and people looking to supply that I can tell you the majority of fish sold as wild caught or first gens are more likely F500's. For this reason I ONLY buy from people I can trust, most local fish stores buy from the same places not people like Jeff Rapps, Rusty Wessel, Don Conkel, or Gage Brady to name a few.

Last edited:
Unless there is proof from a reputable importer that would be a lie, with this type of demand and people looking to supply that I can tell you the majority of fish sold as wild caught or first gens are more likely F500's. For this reason I ONLY buy from people I can trust, most local fish stores buy from the same places not people like Jeff Rapps, Rusty Wessel, Don Conkel, or Gage Brady to name a few.

Agree find out where they come from and so on

Back
Top Bottom