anal fin injury

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haleybeth30

Aquarium Advice FINatic
would one of them bite him there? he's bleeding =( fin is really torn up what should I do

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130707_000056.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130707_000056.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 73
  • ForumRunner_20130707_000109.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130707_000109.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 85
I'm separating him now so he can heal with no one bothering him. It's a sunshine peacock, was just wondering, if this particular injury could indicate it's female? or do they just nip wherever is closest.. Any thing else I could do to help? is there a chance he'll live?

Keep the water he is in prestine and he will heal up over time. You can add some aquarium salt as well, it will aid in his healing.

You can also add metro as a anti infective. Just be sure to remove charcoal before adding, and a large water change after using this product. Your LFH should either carry metro powder, or food impregnated with metro. Fin rot is usually a symptom of poor water quality of stress caused by other fishes. try rearranging the tank decorations to reduce territoriality, or increase your water changes which will dilute any pollutants or disease. Finally consider a UV sterilizer which can eliminate cysts and certain kinds of algae. Honestly, I believe you have a water quality problem. Check your filters and charcoal. If your charcoal is older than 1 month old, I suggest replacing it as well paying close attention to your filter set up and operation. Lastly try increasing your tank temp as many viruses and bacteria can not survive in water temps over 82-84 degrees.
Good Luck!
D

I took him out of the tank.. I figured someone picking at him. Does fin rot make them bleed? Should I put him back in? I don't have another heater... I have been doing a lot of water changes, daily. It's not fully cycled. My nitrite is at 1.0 with no nitrates. I have been seeing flashing, different fish, not an all the time thing, just here and there

I've checked them out,everyone eating without any other sign of disease
Thank you!

Flashing is usually a symptom of ammonia or somothing poison in he tank. Check temp and if necessary raise it 3-4 degrees. If you are using a lot of chemicals in your tank, the fish is reacting to overdosing of treatment and meds. Check your filter media and clean if necessary. Your BB are in the substrate, so you will not be hurting anyting. Try " tropical fish flashing on google"
D

I rearranged, did a 50 % change, added salt for what I took out and put him back in with the others. How fast does fin rot progress to bloody and almost gone? I never saw anything on the fin before. I'm raising the temp. Should I add more salt or leave as is. Should I use meds ir try this for a while. I will retest in about an hour. Thanks!

they are chasing him again, rearranging didn't seem to work. It looks like infection is moving onto his body?? He's still swimming and eating ok. What would you do? please help, thank you

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130707_134511.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130707_134511.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 56
  • ForumRunner_20130707_134645.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130707_134645.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 61
another pic

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130707_135555.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130707_135555.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 64
finally a zero ammonia reading !! That should help him, huh? doing nitrite next

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130707_145302.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130707_145302.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 55
looks like nitrite at .25, though the color is lighter than on chart could that mean less than .25? Any more thoughts on my little guy or what I should do? Should I medicate tank?

meant to add pic

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130707_151517.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130707_151517.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 51
Don't add any more salt as salt oes not evaporate. There is an all natural product called PIMAFIX that should do the. treat the fish in a 30 minute bath 3-4 times per week for about 10 days, and you should see a drastic improvement. Don't treat the entire tank as some fish (especially tetras) can be sensitive to PIMAFIX. Treat in a 1 gallon container for about 30 minutes and return to the tank. Increase your water changes and check your filter media for age and channeling. Fin rot is a bacterial problem in the water manifested on the fish. Additionally you can dose formalin 36% every other day for 10 days the any worms, cysts, or parasites should be good and dead! If the fish has open sores an antibiotic of sorts should be beneficial. A natural remedy is a healthy dose on Indian Almond leaves which has natural anti bacterial properties well as softening the water. Filtering your water through peat pellets is also another method of softening the water, which your fish will appreciate. AS a last resort, you can net the fish and treat the affected area with hydrogen peroxide. Treat only damaged area, and avoid getting it in the eyes or near the gills. 2 minutes of this treatment 3-4 times per week will be quite efficient. Finally, you can take a crushed vitamin c tablet and add to Hydrogen peroxide bath to kill both bacteria as well as any parasites. Treated metro flakes is also a good choice to kill any internal bugs. Time is not on your side, so you will need to hurry. These simple steps along with increasing your O2 supply should end this difficulty you are having.
Good Luck
D

thank you, I should do all of these or choose one or some? I do have hard water, but I thought this was ok for cichlids and that changes in ph were not. I also have all cichlids except for a pleco and little grey and black spotted catfish guy. I will act quickly, thanks again, I don't want to lose my sunshine

how do I check for age and what is channeling? My tank is not fully cycled, I have no nitrates, so is it ok to replace all media?

I understand the pimafix instruction, how do I treat with hydrogen peroxide bath?

First off do NOT raise the temperature. The warmer it is the faster the bacteria will grow. Secondly pimafix will do nothing. IMHO all its good for is making the water smell funny.

Where is the fish now?
How much salt have you added?
Is the fish acting lethargic?
Can you get a better picture?
Blood suggests an injury. Is it fuzzy or cottony around the area?
Are their red veins/streaks from the area of the injury?

Catching and chasing the fish constantly is causing stress. Stress means it will be harder for the fish to recover.

Back
Top Bottom