Angelfish aggression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zparticle

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a tank that has had one very large silver veiltail angel fish in with some other fish and they get along just fine. I just added two medium marbled angle fish and the veiltail is chasing them around the tank. Have I made a huge mistake? Are they just establishing a pecking order?

I'd just keep an eye on them and make sure they aren't getting hurt. If it's just an aggression thing it might wane in time, or it might not, and if they ever decide to pair up you might have to move the odd one out. It's a case by case thing though, I have some that have never even bothered their angel tankmates even when spawning.

Thanks, I knew they paired up for life but I figured being different varieties and vastly different ages it wouldn't matter. I'll keep my eyes open.

I've been able to mix and match them with different mates just by excluding the one that I don't want the female to mate with.

The bully thing seems to be very common if you have new smaller ones adding to a tank where a larger one has established his territory.

I even added a full grown adult male that was much larger than the tank resident male and he got picked on for about a week till he realized he was much larger and didn't have to put up with it.

Back
Top Bottom