Any type of fish surprised you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
My taste in fish has changed through the years. Many fish I never cared for before became favorites after owning them. Some I thought I would love after getting was very disappointed

1. So what fish have you been presently surprised by and why?
2. What fish where you negatively surprised by and why?
3. What fish are you like eh so so about but never owned?

My Answers
1. Oscars wow surprised by personality
Cons and Firemouths because the color that appears after being in home aquarium
Gold fish they are quite personable and the color is outstanding. Had fish 20 years before getting my first goldfish

2. Fahaka puffer surprised by the inactivity.
RTM aggression was way out of hand. while hiding most of the time
Salvini for the same reason as RTM

3. Discus
Angels all though angels have been catching my eye recently

Purpose of this thread is to possibly shed some light on perceived notions of fish we are thinking about or some we never considered.

I agree on salvini. Saw beautiful pictures of them and some claim to keep with others. Mine were always dull and killed everything.
Also geophagus I just can't keep healthy. Don't know why. Maybe water is too hard.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree on salvini. Saw beautiful pictures of them and some claim to keep with others. Mine were always dull and killed everything.

That all depends on the genetics and what locational variant they are. Some Salvini are amazingly colored, others are complete duds. Mine are just now hitting that 1-1.5" mark and are getting very nippy with each other in a 40B.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

We all know cichlids, especially central American's can be aggressive but the level of aggression still surprises me occasionally. This particular female festae killed dozens of fish including two males twice her size. She spent the last year alone in a 40 breeder.

27198-albums1492-picture38282.jpg

My salvini pair killed a large male 9" male festae and essentially cornering every fish in a 72" tank.

27198-albums9290-picture38490.jpg

The festea sure is a beauty. I wouldn't mind having her even if she does require a tank to her self.

Back
Top Bottom