Apisto Cacatuoide Disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsantucci

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

I bought 3 young Apisto Cac's from a breeder. Long story short, two arrives with visible swelling and what I thought was damage from transport, but they both got worse and eventually died. Seemed like some sort of infection as they got popeye on the side of the visible damange. One had its skin almost sloth off its face when it died. The other had swollen lips and its jaw was never right, always yawned and flexed it. He died about 3 weeks after the first.

The third I had was doing great, then out of the blue one day he was swimming in circles only and struggling to do it. He was like that for 1 day and the next was barely moving. I decided best to euthanize as his eye got swollen too. This hasn't spread or affected any other fish.

My question is, does this sound like anything specific to you all or just bad luck? I googled a bit and came across 'black face disease' which has similar symptoms of circular swimming followed by death in a day. I don't find much on it. Others called it whirling disease similar to that seen in trout. I treated the first two with maracyn and maracyn 2.

I'm just worried as I ordered another m/f pair and they arrive tomorrow. I'm hoping this doesn't have any affect on them.

Yeah I think just bad luck myself.

Water is perfect, I test twice a week. No ammonia, no nitrite, 20ppm or so nitrate. gh 3, kh 7.

I read that it is some sort of possibly systemic failure, kind of like a stroke. apparently it happens often enough in these that people are becoming more aware. No idea what sparks it though.

I found these two posts
black faced then death | Apistogramma.com
Spinning and dying? | Apistogramma.com

Back
Top Bottom