Apisto spawning dress?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freakgecko91

Aquarium Advice Addict
As walking past my tank when I noticed one of my female cacatuoides up at the front of the tank. She's mustard yellow, much different from her usual grayish color. She's not protecting one area, but as I'm typing this my male is courting haha question answered, but still, is this normal coloration for a spawning female? Looks like I need a spawning/grow out tank ASAP haha

View attachment 95253

Pic showing the difference between the female in question and my other female, male is in the background lol

View attachment 95254

Yes, totally normal and it does look like she is in the mood. Sometimes they stay yellow for a while before they spawn, but that is her breeding coloration.

This was a total surprise for me! The male is flaunting around the tank right now all happy haha it's quite funny to watch him :) its odd bc my pH has increased due to a problem in our well, and now they spawn?

Cacatuoides aren't picky like some of the other species (Nijsenni complex comes to mind).

Back
Top Bottom