Auratus Cihclid Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Cich Guy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know i can mix it with my gouramis and bala sharks but ive been wondering if i can mix it with some type of schoolong fish like neon or cardinal tetras. So can anyone tell me if i can mix the Auratus with schoolong fish :?:

Auratus + Neon Tetras = ?

The Auratus can not be mixed with the Gouramis, Balas or any other kind of community fish. They are high aggressive African Cichlids and can only be housed with other high aggressive Africans.

ummm..WEll I had a laugh. Trust me, only mix them with other types of cichlids or synodontis. Not only do they require different water parameters then neons but they also are one of the most aggressive african cichlids out there. The one I have even took on my jaguar cichlid once.

Ive laready had my auratus for five years along with the gouramis and the balas and they are fine together. i have had no problems at all.I think it just really depends on how old it is wen you get it. It wasnt even a year old yet, well, the owner of the fish store told me that it wasnt even a year old when i mixed it with my three opaline gouramis. 2 years after i added the balas and they have never bothered each other unless they got into each others feeding space. I think if the Cichlid is young wen you got it and it gets use to being bothered a bit, when it gets older it's peaceful. It's probably 20% insticnt and 80% Personality.

The Cich Guy said:
Ive laready had my auratus for five years along with the gouramis and the balas and they are fine together. i have had no problems at all.I think it just really depends on how old it is wen you get it. It wasnt even a year old yet, well, the owner of the fish store told me that it wasnt even a year old when i mixed it with my three opaline gouramis. 2 years after i added the balas and they have never bothered each other unless they got into each others feeding space. I think if the Cichlid is young wen you got it and it gets use to being bothered a bit, when it gets older it's peaceful. It's probably 20% insticnt and 80% Personality.
Nature vs. Nurture? 8O

I would not risk it. When the Auratus becomes sexually mature it will do serious damage to your tank.

I think it's a combination of lucking out with an incredibly laid back auratus; it not viewing it's tank mates as competitors/rivals in anyway, and being reared in a tank devoid of normal african cichlid social interaction. Your auratus would be a completely different fish were it residing in a african cichlid tank. Is it a male or female? What sized tank?

After 5 years, I imagine your auratus is full grown (5-6"+); how big is it? I think if it's physically capable of eating a neon tetra it will attempt it. Additionally, I think any change in this particular set up (adding new fish) may bring out the auratus' true nature.

It is female in a 80 gallon rectangular tank. it is full grown (6.5") I actually added 4 angel fish and 3 catfish in the past year or so. Forgot to mention that. It;s still doesnt attack anyone of it's tank mates old or new.

Back
Top Bottom