Baby Oscar Not Eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sook9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
today i bought an oscar and hes not eating at all hes about 3-4 centimeters but he ignores the pellets i put on him also i have another kind of food for cichlids they're little food balls but he ignores those to meaby hes to stressed because of the travel he had to take from the shop to home but any advise here?

It's typical for fish to not eat the first week or so. But if it continues for about 2 weeks there is a problem he is probably stressed. What is tank size, temp and filtration?

It's typical for fish to not eat the first week or so. But if it continues for about 2 weeks there is a problem he is probably stressed. What is tank size, temp and filtration?
about 63 gallon good filtration and natural temp since i live in a tropical area but a few hours ago i tried to fed him again he put 1 pellet on his mouth then he spit it out

i know it only have been 2 days since i posted this but hes still not eating and i am worried i have 1 question will he starve to death? never owned a so picky fish i am starting to realise that this kind of fish is somehow a shy i got him with some mbunas but the mbunas don't mess with him or chase him meaby hes intimidated by all the fishes

also this is the first time i own a oscar

Ok so in the tank there are munba and the oscar if so this is a big no no. African and SA shouldn't mix due to water needs such as ph. Also the oscar won't stay shy long as he tops off around a foot maybe even 14+ inches

Some people say that water quality may lead to a loss of appetite. Frozen food may elicit a feeding response.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok so in the tank there are munba and the oscar if so this is a big no no. African and SA shouldn't mix due to water needs such as ph. Also the oscar won't stay shy long as he tops off around a foot maybe even 14+ inches
the mbunas we are talking about are the kind of mbunas that have been bred so many times in ph waters of 7.5 or less so my ph is around 7 to 7.5 not hard water also the mbunas are healthy and i am aware if the oscar get big he could eat the smaller mbunas but that a risk i am willing to take

the mbunas we are talking about are the kind of mbunas that have been bred so many times in ph waters of 7.5 or less so my ph is around 7 to 7.5 not hard water also the mbunas are healthy and i am aware if the oscar get big he could eat the smaller mbunas but that a risk i am willing to take

Ok was making sure you were aware would hate somebody losing fish. Just watch for aggression. How is the oscar doing now?

Normal behavior.

As mentioned, it's something to get worried if after 1-2 weeks they wont eat anything. My flowerhorn literally ate a few minutes after I put him in the tank. My firemouth on the other hand, took a good week to start eating.

Water parameters aside, oscars and Mbuna still don't mix. Mbunas are bruisers of the fish world. Oscar's may be slightly aggressive but they are also big giant sissies. Just him being in with the mbuna as a new fish to the aquarium getting picked at can continue to keep him stressed out.

You may not see it but I would be surprised if they weren't picking on them. I tried once to put a jeweled cichlid in a mbuna tank with seemingly unaggressive mbunas. The jeweled cichlid was an inch bigger than every other fish in there and was a known tank killer. He went psycho years back and killed every fish in the tank. The Mbuna kicked his butt, causing him to hide, and by the time I realized how bad he was getting picked on he had pretty bad damage all over him. I had never seen them pick on him because they acted differently when people were in front of the tank.

My point is, that you really shouldn't mix south american cichlids with mbunas.

Water parameters aside, oscars and Mbuna still don't mix. Mbunas are bruisers of the fish world. Oscar's may be slightly aggressive but they are also big giant sissies. Just him being in with the mbuna as a new fish to the aquarium getting picked at can continue to keep him stressed out.

You may not see it but I would be surprised if they weren't picking on them. I tried once to put a jeweled cichlid in a mbuna tank with seemingly unaggressive mbunas. The jeweled cichlid was an inch bigger than every other fish in there and was a known tank killer. He went psycho years back and killed every fish in the tank. The Mbuna kicked his butt, causing him to hide, and by the time I realized how bad he was getting picked on he had pretty bad damage all over him. I had never seen them pick on him because they acted differently when people were in front of the tank.

Perfectly put together

Ok was making sure you were aware would hate somebody losing fish. Just watch for aggression. How is the oscar doing now?
he was still shy so i moved him to a 20 gallon tank with some mollies now he gain some of his confident back when i try to fed him he watch the pellets or whatever i put to him but still doesnt wanna aet anything i think he ate a pellet yesterday but thats it

if anyone ask all of the fishes in the 20 gallon are fine lol

you know i have 2 unwanted fishes in my tank one is a jewel cichlid and the other is the oscar my when i told my girlfriend i liked cichlids she doens't know what kind of cichlisd i wanted the first one she gave me was the jewel cichlid but surprisily the slow moving jewel cichlid is feared in the tank but hes not aggressive my big kenyi is the boss but hes afraid to pick on him when the jewel comes near him he shows a https://www.google.co.ve/search?q=p...43BJYuvsQTAq4BQ&ved=0CEgQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=969posture of submission

so now back to the oscar i moved him to a 20 gallon tank i hope he grows a bit large so he can deal with the mbunas meaby in the future when he gets to big if i see him chasing a fish or try to eat one i am giving him to a friend with an aquarium store

he was still shy so i moved him to a 20 gallon tank with some mollies now he gain some of his confident back when i try to fed him he watch the pellets or whatever i put to him but still doesnt wanna aet anything i think he ate a pellet yesterday but thats it

if anyone ask all of the fishes in the 20 gallon are fine lol

Oscars are very very timid fish. I've had my 2 for almost 2 weeks now and they are still playing dead when I come up to the tank. I'm sure it helps that he's in a different tank but he will outgrow that in 2 months and still not be a good candidate for your mbuna tank.

Oscars are very very timid fish. I've had my 2 for almost 2 weeks now and they are still playing dead when I come up to the tank. I'm sure it helps that he's in a different tank but he will outgrow that in 2 months and still not be a good candidate for your mbuna tank.

well mine comes near me when ever i come to the tank also chases my finger but still not eating and oh well i hope if he gets any bigger or survives the mbunas wont mess with him but time will tell

well mine comes near me when ever i come to the tank also chases my finger but still not eating and oh well i hope if he gets any bigger or survives the mbunas wont mess with him but time will tell

They will mess with him though... It's in their nature. Heck, if you keep a common pleco with them they will realize that they can't bother him through his armor (despite being 2x - 3x their size) and peck out his eyes instead. That's a fairly common occurrence. It sucks but he really needs to be rehomed to a proper tank.

They will mess with him though... It's in their nature. Heck, if you keep a common pleco with them they will realize that they can't bother him through his armor (despite being 2x - 3x their size) and peck out his eyes instead. That's a fairly common occurrence. It sucks but he really needs to be rehomed to a proper tank.

the only mbunas that i was worried about was the two kenyis but surprisely they werent the ones messing with him a medium sized kakusa or yellow lab chased him a little bit when i introduced him and P. elongatus also a regani fry tried to fight with him but a day later they ignored him so i thought everything was ok but the oscar might ended to stressed from these encounters

excluding the oscar i know i have a weird mix ñ.ñ including a pleco

well this is a update of the oscar today i woke up and i saw him a little moveless when i star to pull some pellets he would come at the top but instanly get outcompeted by the mollies for food i saw him a little weak slow moving not the same fih that would like to swing around i think he may be sick so i change him to a 15 gallon tank all for himself and i hope he recovers from whatever he has but he just sit in a corner and still doens't eat a pellet so i am worried

well this is a update of the oscar today i woke up and i saw him a little moveless when i star to pull some pellets he would come at the top but instanly get outcompeted by the mollies for food i saw him a little weak slow moving not the same fih that would like to swing around i think he may be sick so i change him to a 15 gallon tank all for himself and i hope he recovers from whatever he has but he just sit in a corner and still doens't eat a pellet so i am worried

Make sure to keep an eye on your other 2 tanks. If he has something infections then you just contaminated both of them.

Back
Top Bottom