Betta keeps spitting food!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

faysalals1

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a giant Halfmoon Koi Betta that eats anything I give him with no issues. But recently, hes been spitting the same food he used to love! I even put garlic on it and he still refuse to eat it!

I did move him to a new tank with rummynose tetras, and I noticed him eating some of their food after it falls from the ground! Im wondering if he now prefers eating their food?

He does not seem stressed at all and very happy

I have a giant Halfmoon Koi Betta that eats anything I give him with no issues. But recently, hes been spitting the same food he used to love! I even put garlic on it and he still refuse to eat it!

I did move him to a new tank with rummynose tetras, and I noticed him eating some of their food after it falls from the ground! Im wondering if he now prefers eating their food?

He does not seem stressed at all and very happy

As long as he's eating, it should be fine however, you need to feed a variety of foods to both the Betta, a carnivore, and your Tetras, which are omnivores which means they need both meats and veggies in order to keep them healthy.
On a side note, since he is tasting the old food and rejecting it, it sounds like either the food went bad or the fish ate it before out of desperation not desire. You'll want to reintroduce it into the mix when you start feeding a larger variety of foods. If he still rejects it, that could be a sign of it going bad. Do the rummys try to eat the old food?

As long as he's eating, it should be fine however, you need to feed a variety of foods to both the Betta, a carnivore, and your Tetras, which are omnivores which means they need both meats and veggies in order to keep them healthy.
On a side note, since he is tasting the old food and rejecting it, it sounds like either the food went bad or the fish ate it before out of desperation not desire. You'll want to reintroduce it into the mix when you start feeding a larger variety of foods. If he still rejects it, that could be a sign of it going bad. Do the rummys try to eat the old food?

No the Betta is rejecting the fresh food im giving him directly from my hand.
But eating the leftovers of the Rummynose food from the ground!

I feed my Betta Ultra Fresh Betta Pro Shrimp Patties, Fluval bug bites, and sometimes Hikari Dried Daphnia. I add Vitachem and garlic to their food and put it in the fridge while using it for a week. What other variety of food can I feed them?

I feed my Rummynose Xtreme Aquatic Krill Flakes, Xtreme Aquatic Nano, and Ultra Fresh Tetra Fish Food. Do I need to add different variety? It seems like its hard for them to swallow it, even if I crumble it, so it all falls to the ground.

No the Betta is rejecting the fresh food im giving him directly from my hand.
But eating the leftovers of the Rummynose food from the ground!

I feed my Betta Ultra Fresh Betta Pro Shrimp Patties, Fluval bug bites, and sometimes Hikari Dried Daphnia. I add Vitachem and garlic to their food and put it in the fridge while using it for a week. What other variety of food can I feed them?

I feed my Rummynose Xtreme Aquatic Krill Flakes, Xtreme Aquatic Nano, and Ultra Fresh Tetra Fish Food. Do I need to add different variety? It seems like its hard for them to swallow it, even if I crumble it, so it all falls to the ground.
Okay, what's the " fresh food" you are feeding from your hand? Is it eating the bug bites? or the Daphnia? Have you tried feeding the food NOT from your hand but just dropping it into the tank?
The point is that if a fish eats this but doesn't eat that it's usually because it doesn't like the taste or texture of the food it's rejecting. Another thought is that maybe the food at the end of the week is not as fresh or has gone bad which is why he's rejecting it? All just guess work at this point. You seem to be feeding a good variety and it's great you are adding the Vitamins but maybe stop prepping a week's worth of food and just do it for a couple of days in advance. As for other foods you could add, I prefer frozen or live for bettas over dried or freeze dried so foods like Frozen bloodworms or enriched brine shrimp could be added. Both of these foods have a chiton shell so that will help with digestion and keeping the poo flowing. (y)
As for the tetras, you might want to try softening the foods in some water before feeding them so it makes it easier for the fish to swallow. If that doesn't work, switching to flakes or frozen foods over pellets could be your answer. That or using a smaller pellet ( although I doubt that will do much because you said they reject it even when crushed.) I've not seen Tetras have issues with flakes before and I've fed tank loads of them as a wholesaler. :whistle:

Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom