Bad pics but, My first Peacocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I should add to the Newbie mistakes ... Do NOT feed fish after just waking up lol drowzy this AM I was feeding NLS pellets and when I opened the jar I somehow tipped and dumped a load of pellets in. I was awake then and quickly netted most of it. I will be vaccuming tonight, oh well an extra PWC aint bad :)

my cichlids have crushed coral and they make tunnels that they scrape through no cuts. they also search for food at bottom no cuts.

I also use crushed coral mixed in with rounded pebbles in my tank. And I agree with Carey and love the fact that it keeps my PH up. I've had my 2 peacocks a while now and just got 2 new ones last night. They never really bother the substrate. They tend to just love to swim. However, my yellow labs do pick at it, but they're fine.

No Not yet, I want to but Im about worried that since I cannot tell the sex I might just get two or three more males. Thanks for asking Carey

Just buy juvies, let them grow out till you can sex them and rehome when ready. I always recommend buying 7-10 of each speices to start. Don't worry about it when buying small fish if you guess wrong, I've been doing this for many years and still can't sex some fish by sight.

I love seeing new cichlids. :) I'm not 100% saltie yet.

I've been just getting males to avoid the m/f ratio issues. If and when I decide i wanna breed any then I'll inquire for females. I do however have 2 female empress and 2 males so we'll have to see how that goes.

Good luck, let us know when you get some new guys. We love pictures!

Nice to see another East Tennesseean on here! Where exactly are you at?

Thats a nice tank, keep the pictures coming.

HUKIT, Do you vent your fish or ??? or wait till they start coloring (Males)

adadkins1,

I see your in the Morristown area. Im in Knoxville, and I agree good to see Some Tennessee folks here.

I hope to soon Carey and will give pics.

I've been just getting males to avoid the m/f ratio issues. If and when I decide i wanna breed any then I'll inquire for females. I do however have 2 female empress and 2 males so we'll have to see how that goes.

A word of caution.
The M:F ratio isn't for breeding purposes. It's to help keep the Cichlids Aggression to a minimum.
As your males get older they will start to do some serious damage to each other, if there isn't a lot of females around to cut down on the testosterone levels.
Even with the proper M:F ratio, boys will be boys, and fight with each other. But not nearly as much, or as deadly, if they have a lot of girls around to impress.
I have
1 female Peacock
1 female Kenyi (her male partner was killed by a killer RZ)
2 female Cobalt Blue
2 female Yellow Labs
1 female White lab (not an albino)
I also have,
2 female Black ? w/ blue fins. Their faces are shaped like the labs and they have markings on their dorsal fin like the lab, but I have no idea what they are, except incredibly beautiful.
1 male Red Top Zebra
1 male Cobalt blue
1 male White Lab (also not albino)
1 male Black? w/Blue fins.
It's not the 1:4 ratio, but it's been enough to keep the violence at bay. So much so that we will be having babies soon.
Our female Kenyi (Rainbow) has a mouthful right now, and the Dad is our Red Top Zebra (Charlie).
I know that they are hybrids and some people have an issue with that, but I don't. In fact I think Rainbow made a great choice in father material.
Rainbow is on the small side, but she has beautiful deep blue coloring and a great, outgoing personality. She's always out in the front of the tank to greet us as we come in the room and until the mouth full of babies she would always fallow the camera whenever I try to take pictures. I couldn't get a picture of any other fish without her in it.
Charlie is a great big strapping Red Top. He's one of the largest Mbunas I've ever seen. He's not quite a year old yet, and he still seems to be growing. Before I put Rainbow in a separate tank, for baby safety, Charlie was being very protective of Rainbow. He chased away anyone that came close to her. At feeding time he would wait for her to come out before he would eat. Even though she's not eating, due to a mouth full of babies. For a fish, Charlie was being very attentive to the mommy of his children. A lot of human dads aren't that good. They were actually very sweet to watch.
Sorry, you didn't need all that information. They are the first babies we've ever had in 7 years of fish keeping. I'm a little over excited.
My point was that you really need the m:f ratio all the time, not just for breeding.
Unless your an expert and know how to vent your Cichlids to sex them, it's a hit or miss proposition. Just make sure that you LFS will let you return any of your female choices, if they turn out to be male. Most of the non chain PS don't have a problem with it, The larger chains usually won't. I can't say which ones, it violates some rule and I don't want to get into trouble. But if you do some more research on your specific Cichlids, on the physical differences between the males and the females. Then add 3-5 new female, every 4-6 weeks.
i always QT my new fish for the first 4 weeks, longer if the new ones are on the small side. The extra time gives them a chance to grow, to be better able to protect themselves.
Choosing females based on the physical characteristics isn't always accurate but it's kind of all you have, unless you can convince someone that knows how to vent Cichlids to go with you to the FS and pick out the females for you. Don't rely on the FS people to pick out the females for you, they rarely know the difference.
Because of the m:f ratio females are harder to find. You may need to special order female African Cichlids.
Good luck and happy girl shopping.

Thanks Wedi, I will be shopping soon, probably next weekend so hopefully I will have some pics. Good luck being a granparent of sorts LOL I hope the baby thing or Fry thing goes well.

Thanks Wendi, I will be shopping soon, probably next weekend so hopefully I will have some pics. Good luck being a grandparent of sorts LOL I hope the baby thing or Fry thing goes well.

No Problem, have fun picking out your new little girls.
You may want to call your LFS in advance to make sure they even have any females in stock. Because they are in such high demand, FS run out of their females fast. If they are out and they aren't one of the chain PS, most FS will order the type of Cichlid you want. Most Cichlids will mate with any other Cichlid, but they do prefer their own. So If you have a male Peacock, then order a few female Peacock.
They say (who ever they are) that you should have a M:F ratio 1:4, but 1:2 works. It's difficult to get the 4 females for every male. So just do the best you can. Your LFS should help, if they don't, try a different FS.
I already have a 10 year old grandson and I've always wanted lots of grandchildren. Since my daughter says, No Way. Then I will settle being the grandma to all our fish babies.

No Not yet, I want to but I'm about worried that since I cannot tell the sex I might just get two or three more males. Thanks for asking Carey

Hi mdawg,
Sorry I took so long but I've been reading up on sexing the Peacock Cichlids. I read several but this was the most comprehensive,
www.aqua-fish.net .
Sexing:
Male Peacocks are brightly colored when they reach sexual maturity (21/2-3") & they display "egg spots" on their anal fins. The egg spots are very important in the breeding process.
The females are generally brownish/gray or silvery in coloration.

Breeding:
The male will dig a pit in the sand/gravel. The female will lay her eggs and take them in her mouth.
The male peacock has "egg spots" which the female thinks are eggs she has not yet picked up. She will pick at the "egg spots" on the males anal fin with her mouth and this will trigger the release of sperm. Then she will take the sperm into her mouth where the eggs are waiting to be fertilized. The female will carry roughly 50 eggs in her modified throat pouch for 21 days. During this period the female will not eat which will make her very weak, so it's a good idea to separate her from the rest of the fish. Once the eggs have hatched and the fry are free swimming, they will remain close to the mothers mouth where they will be able to seek refuge at any sign of danger.
Peacock Cichlids are great parents and will remain with their fry until they are old enough to fend for themselves.

The "egg spot" method is fairly accurate. The only 100% accurate way is called "venting" Which involves turning the fish upside down and examining the boy and girl parts. It's tough to do so it's best left to the experts. Besides, I don't think to many FS will let you take their fish out of the water, flip em over & check em out.

Wendi,

Thanks again, Its very nice of you and although lazy of me, very easy to read your sought out research. :)

Wendi,

Thanks again, Its very nice of you and although lazy of me, very easy to read your sought out research. :)

Don't worry about it. It was really interesting for me to learn about it also.
I had a difference of opinion with someone else a few months ago about the "egg spots". They told me that their females had spots and their males didn't. Since I didn't have the names of articles to back me up I had to back down. Now I do know the facts and they even make sense.
So it was very helpful for me too. Plus I actually enjoy reading about cichlids, I find them fascinating

For sure I do find them very fascinating also. I have soooo much to learn but am really enjoying it. I hope to get some more Peacocks this weekend so maybe I can better my Ratio :)

For sure I do find them very fascinating also. I have soooo much to learn but am really enjoying it. I hope to get some more Peacocks this weekend so maybe I can better my Ratio :)

They will most likely be to small for pictures, but when they are a bit bigger take a few pictures of your new babies.
Your Peacocks are so different from my Mbunas. I really enjoy seeing the different types of African Cichlids.

Once they mature, color dimorphism makes them easy to tell apart.

Male (color will vary depending on the type of Peacock you have);
img_1338884_0_d2ccbfe699fd917280dcfb669270bf0d.jpg

Female;
img_1338884_1_ab7a24462c6ba3d06b712778afd3d5de.jpg

Once you know you have multiple males you can usually trade them back to the LFS as well. Be aware that some males will take longer to color up. Notice that my male has no egg spots.

Back
Top Bottom