Bad pics but, My first Peacocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice. I have the brown looking one in picture one myself! He's supposed to color up really well!

They are small but I cant wait. Now I think I need to reasearch how to change coarse substrate to PFS. I thought I had really reasearched but alas more fun.

Well, everything I read states that the coarse stuff I have in there might scratch the Peacocks up, becuase thier natarual behavior is to hunt in the river bottom for microorganisms and stuff. I dunno, I put in the Cichlid substrate to raise my PH and it has worked my PH stays a nice 8.2 to 8.4

Thanks Sonoma, I Have 3 the light colored one is in both pics but the other are two different fish. I wanted to get 3 more to add female but the guy at the fish store said to wait and let my tank adjust to the Bio load for just a little bit. When I got them I was hoping I had female mix already

How long has your tank been running ? best to have 1m/4f with that ratio your males should color up really nice.

its been up for like 6 or 7 I think weeks. It took forever to cycle then I added my three fish. I think I was overfeeding because I had some Ammo show up but I think its all back to control now.

I use a pretty coarse substrate of crushed coral and shells and my fish haven't gotten cut up or anything and they do scavenge the bottom for food.

I wouldn't undertake the change of gravel unless youre really sure.

I also agree with the above, get some females in there and the colors will pop!

yeah i would wait 2 weeks or so before adding anymore fish. what kind of peacocks did you get ? How much are you feeding i feed my cichlids every other day as much as they can eat in 60 seconds

Sonoma,
It said Mixed Peacocks, the LFS said they were small and unkown sex. Im trying to research and be a responsable keeper but I dont know what Kind of Peacocks they are.
I feed once a day, NLS now was Omega one, sinking pelets 1mm or less in size and I Give them a two finger pinch :) they have them gobbled up in about 20 seconds, unless they dont see them falling and then its just a little while longer.

I use a pretty coarse substrate of crushed coral and shells and my fish haven't gotten cut up or anything and they do scavenge the bottom for food.

I wouldn't undertake the change of gravel unless youre really sure.

I also agree with the above, get some females in there and the colors will pop!

Ya that is what mine is, well if it works for you and is not bad for them Good deal. Thanks

I took a few quick shots of my fish. i took a shot of the one I think we both have, it was sold to me as a tiger hap, part of the red empress family is what I researched out.

Glad i could be of help. People tend to change gravel out just for their viewing pleasure, me, I like the buffering I get from the gravel I have so i don't have to worry about adding anything to get the ph up.

img_1314005_0_b229aac3835778b2eedb909099723f2d.jpg

img_1314005_1_48cf33a91653432b7e97ba3f2ed17761.jpg

img_1314005_2_3fc774f2af71fcd2b89881d34af76b8b.jpg

I like that too about the substrate, so I do not want to change it at all. I will have to wait until im on my home computer to look at the pics. Thanks for the info I always want to know as much about my fish as possible.

What do I look for to go as a guideline for Female Peacocks?

Why thanks very much! We've got a nice bunch they should really be something when they mature.

I'm not really sure about the m/f ratios on particular fish, I know with mbuna its about 4 for 1 to keep them happy. I think the only females I have are the red Empress.

Most of cichlids are about 3 inches ac ouple are a bit larger than that. I got them all as babies, :)

Well I asked the LFS guy he said he could not tell me which were female and which were male. So I will get some soon.

Back
Top Bottom