Bad setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

13stingeln

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1454795098.701314.jpg
This is my current set up haven't had much updating ever since I got this tank it's 45 gallons which I know is a bit small for cichlids. I have 7 cichlids at the moment and I know my selecting isn't the smartest. I've had them for quite awhile and haven't had much aggression until recently. I don't understand what it would be but I did a water change and moved some stuff around and it hasn't seemed to help at all. Would it help to add more fish or is that a bad idea due to my tank size? I really don't want to get rid of any of my fish but the aggression needs to settle down. I've had the tank for acouple years now.
I have in the tank:
Ob peacock
Acei
Johnny
Auratus
Kenyi
Zebra obliquien
Krib
Surprisingly my krib is the smallest and no one touches him. The ones that I have problems with recently was my Johnny and auratus but there fine now and it seems like my acei auratus and Johnny are hanging together up on my ob peacock and zebra. I just need serious advice. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Johanni, Kenyii, and auratus are all at the higher end of the aggression scale as far as Mbuna go. They typically do not make good inhabitants of community style Mbuna tanks, especially not with a peacock in the mix. The krib truly has no place in this tank and will end up dead more than likely. You're seeing aggression because the fish are maturing. They become highly territorial as they reach adulthood. Also, acei get a bit larger than most Mbuna, and I would typically suggest a 75 for them, although some will disagree.

You are also lacking a lot of hiding places. Mbuna come from expanses of rock, where they graze algae. I would add a lot more rock work

Definitely need to really think about what direction you want to the tank, and replace the fish that don't make sense. If a 45 is the maximum tank size available to you, I would recommend trading the fish you have to a LFS, and getting a group of yellow labs, or a mix of Mbuna with a more peaceful temperament and manageable size. Research is going to be key, read everything you possibly can

Gecko is right. To add, if a 45 is your max tank size and you don't want to add more rocks, I would suggest ditching the mbuna cichlids and just stick with peacocks.

Alright thanks guys. I really don't want to see any of my fish go so maybe I'll consider another tank set up.

Tank size isn't going to be your only issue. You've picked many homicidal species, especially the auratus

Back
Top Bottom