Birchir with african malawis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy-s

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi new to forum
But would like some help has any one every kept a burchir with African malawis!

Bad idea IMO. Africans in general do not welcome other fish. They tolerate other africans, mainly because they're the only ones that'll stand their ground. A bichir is just going to turn in to a snack for them.

I thourght it would of been the other way round thanks for the info

Either that or the bichir won't get food. They aren't the fastest fish in the tank. Plus the water parameters will differ for those two fish.

Al see what it's like tomorrow wA hopefully goin to hand feed it as av herd people do that all the time

What kind of bichir is it? That's actually pretty important. Ornate bichir will outgrow the cichlids and will eat them. Senegal will stay decently small but that may make him a target for the cichlids.

Some bichirs are found in the rift lakes. The water chemistry is not an issue, especially if you are not adding a bunch of salt and buffer.

I have kept them together many times without any issues. If you have a little 3" bichir in with full grown open water haps or a 24" bichir in with shell dwelling Tanganyikans then yes, you will have problems. As with any two fish if one fits in the other's mouth it will probably end up there. Bichirs learn quickly where the food is and will be happy to make sure they get their share. They should be fine together.

I won't get into the salt discussion again :p but I know that I haven't heard of too many people keeping them together. I think it would be best for a cichlid tank and a tank for the bichir himself. Cuz let's be honest. Bichirs are awesome.

Also you gotta think about their diets. Malawi like their veggies with a few worms here or there but for the most part you don't want proteins in their diets. Bichirs on the other hand enjoy their protein. If you can hand feed the bichir to ensure that the malawis aren't getting excess protein you should be straight. But with excess protein the infamous bloat can arise.

NLS is ideal for both.

No one has specified which cichlids are in question, so we have no idea if it is a piscivore, algicore, or omnivore.

You can fulfill all their dietary needs with NLS exclusively though.

Fishguy2727 said:
No one has specified which cichlids are in question, so we have no idea if it is a piscivore, algicore, or omnivore.

Indeed. Neither has the tank size or polypterus type...all important details...

It's a 6ft tank 500 liters not sure what birchir it is to be honest a will get a picture up soon the malawis I have a yellow labs firefish some dolphins

Attachments

• image-1861052773.jpg
    image-1861052773.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 103
  • image-4237780472.jpg
    image-4237780472.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 83
  • image-1164394453.jpg
    image-1164394453.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 93
  • image-3057750135.jpg
    image-3057750135.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 97
Cheers for your help everyone and I will keep a close eye on him would be a shame to let him as there fascinating to watch

Back
Top Bottom