Blood Parrot breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrackAttack

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have done some research on it and from what i have read is that blood parrots do constantly spawn but whether it is successful or not thats a whole other story.
Apparently it has been done but the males are not always fertile. i was just wondering if anyone has bred these fish and if so how did you do it? how many did you have? what was you m:f ratio?
i just bought one and i love it to death i may go back to the store and buy his or her friend. i believe the one at the store is a male because it was constantly trying to dig in the gravel them come up to the other one as if to lure her over to the nest.

Here is what he or she looked like at the store i havent taken any new pics yet.

Attachments

• image-4152951645.jpg
    image-4152951645.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 104
  • image-3106673802.jpg
    image-3106673802.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 107
i love blood parrots they have such cute faces :) i know a lot of people think its wrong to breed them and some think they shouldnt even exist but come on, how can you say no to that adorable face!

Yea they are the english bull dogs of fish. I dont like the dyed or tattooed fish but selectively bred fish i dont mind. I dont think they are in pain or anything so for me its ok.
This is actually my first cichlid so im kinda excited.

BrackAttack said:
Yea they are the english bull dogs of fish. I dont like the dyed or tattooed fish but selectively bred fish i dont mind. I dont think they are in pain or anything so for me its ok.
This is actually my first cichlid so im kinda excited.

Cool that was my first cichlid too! ^_^. Have fun trying to breed them! I wanted to breed them but you got to have male and female + decide if fertile or not. Some people get male-female from different stores cause of fertility. What size tank is he in??

I have two blood parrots myself (caesar and salad) I love them to bits I picked them up when they had/have their juvie colors still. I have to admit as caesar is changing to full color I'm kind of sad. I like their stripes. They eat from my hand and remind me so much of my old oscars personalities. (kind of like puppies)

I really like the blood parrots as well that face is just too cute. i'm about to start a community tank and was wondering if they will do ok with the smaller fish like danios and tetras? and if i decided to add a ram down the road would they get along?

i heard they are not too aggressive, and don't really have teeth to defend themselves from bigger more aggressive fish

50 gal. With a redtail shark and pearl gourami. The three of them swim side by side its weird. The BP stole the red tail sharks cave and the shark waits for hin to leave so he can reclaim it. The gourami and shark are left over from a crayfish extermination. The cray ate all my platies. I dont mind but hes gone now.

Also they might kiss/lip lock some people say its fighting but if you have male and female after they are done "kissing" they will rub on each IMO. Mine do it it's pretty cool. :)

Quest84 said:
I really like the blood parrots as well that face is just too cute. i'm about to start a community tank and was wondering if they will do ok with the smaller fish like danios and tetras? and if i decided to add a ram down the road would they get along?

i heard they are not too aggressive, and don't really have teeth to defend themselves from bigger more aggressive fish

I had mine with platys + guppys for a little bit and they were fine :) my second BP is mean though so I think it depends . Also with 2 zebra danios.

Fishie said:
Also they might kiss/lip lock some people say its fighting but if you have male and female after they are done "kissing" they will rub on each IMO. Mine do it it's pretty cool. :)

Like kissing gouramis?

My parrots are in what would be considered an semi/aggressive tank. If you look on my profile in the 65gal you'll see. I don't know if I would put tetras in with them or rams the tetras may end up as a snack as for the rams they are very peaceful fish and I don't know if they'd fight off the parrots for food. Parrots are aggressive when it comes to food. At least in my experience with them.

I no they arent the best pics but can anyone tell if its a male or female.
Right now my BP is skiddish when move towards the tank but when i stay still or move slowly he comes right up to the glass and follows me.

BrackAttack said:
I no they arent the best pics but can anyone tell if its a male or female

I think it is a male because it's dorsal fin and anal fin looked pointed. If fin is round then female :)

so they would be better with other semi-aggressive fish, what do u guys think with some tiger barbs, rainbow shark and some type of bottom dweller?

i read that with blood parrots the females can also have pointed fins but males will never have rounded. i really like these guys. they are a good size and colorful and entertaining

Quest84 said:
so they would be better with other semi-aggressive fish, what do u guys think with some tiger barbs, rainbow shark and some type of bottom dweller?

I think that would be good for all the fish in question. You'd have the barbs schooling to bring out the parrots playfulness, then the one rainbow would be free to roam the tank and the bottom dwellers would be good too. What do you have in mind for bottom dwellers? What size tank again? Oh and just watch the barbs they're known to be fin nippers. Lol!

Back
Top Bottom