Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2014, 01:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Blood parrot problems

I'm having major issues with my tank and need some advice. I'm battling ammonia very high levels I don't know why this keeps happening. Iv got a 75gallon tank with 3 blood parrots and 2 pletcos I used to have 5 blood parrots but I lost 2 of them. I got a canister filter system for up to 100gallons it's brand new have had it for 2 weeks I just did a complete new set up on my tank and started fresh and all my levels were good until today and now my fish are white and barely moving so I took them out of the tank and put them in fresh water with bubbler and heater for the night so I can do something with my tank I need help bad someone please help me

Old 04-09-2014, 02:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Your tank has to cycle again since you have a new filter and setup. You need at least a month to build up enough bacteria to handle the ammonia and nitrite that will be produced by the fish. Since you have fish in there already that makes this a tricky situation. The best thing you can do is perform daily water changes to keep the ammonia down until your biological filter builds up. Also keep the temp up because it will speed the growth of bacteria. And maybe buy something that will add bacteria to the tank. They also sell those bio balls that you can put in your canister filter. They already have bacteria built up on them.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

You should have left the old filter running until the new one had a chance to establish a bacterial colony.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:12 AM   #4

I have been having this problem for the last couple months before I even redid my tank I've moved from city water to well water and still have problem. When I moved I kept my old filter in tank and then bought the canister filter. I'm just going nuts here my fish were doing so well and now they look bad. There doing better since I took them out of the tank tonight and put then in a 18 gallon tote bin there getting color back just don't know what to do with my tank.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

What decorations did you add? Any strange rocks that might be leaching chemicals?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #6

I didn't changes anything in the tank. My levels where so bad my fish lost there scales an had this white stuff peeling off them
Old 04-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Did the problem start when you got the new filter?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh sorry I see it was already there. It has to be something in the tank that's new/different. New rocks or shells or anything!
Old 04-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #9

I didn't do anything when the problem first started battling very high ammonia levels for couple months lost two fish because of it. So I switched to well water because I moved and got new rock and I still have problem
Old 04-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry I can't suggest anything. I lost fish to high ammonia... Water changes is the only thing that helped it. Sounds like your cycling.

Tags
blood, parrot, problem, rot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com