Blue Acara and Jewels...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shiloh13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can anyone tell me if an Acara and a jewel cichlid can breed? New user so be gentle.

Aequidens (your Acara) and Hemochrimis (Jewel) can't breed. In fact, they really shouldn't even share the same tank space. Blue Acara are a S Amer cichlid which inhabits still water areas. Jewels are African river cichlids, and prefer moving water. Their mannerisms are different, as are their dietary requirements. They may cohabitate fine for years, or you may suddenly have problems. Acaras aren't particularly aggressive, but Jewels can be nasty. IMO, rehome one or the other to a tank with similar species.

Aequidens (your Acara) and Hemochrimis (Jewel) can't breed. In fact, they really shouldn't even share the same tank space. Blue Acara are a S Amer cichlid which inhabits still water areas. Jewels are African river cichlids, and prefer moving water. Their mannerisms are different, as are their dietary requirements. They may cohabitate fine for years, or you may suddenly have problems. Acaras aren't particularly aggressive, but Jewels can be nasty. IMO, rehome one or the other to a tank with similar species.
Thanks for your response. I asked because the Acara follows the jewel constantly and the two are very affectionate towards each other. The jewel is however aggressive with some of the other fish. Especially the geophagus. I will probably move the jewel.

Back
Top Bottom