Bolivian ram behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 3 Bolivian rams. Two of them stay in the front of the tank but on opposite sides. They often come to the center and lip lock. The third ram is almost always hiding and I usually never see him. The two other rams give this one no interest. Is this normal? does this describe certain genders? I thought they were all males.

I have 3 Bolivian rams. Two of them stay in the front of the tank but on opposite sides. They often come to the center and lip lock. The third ram is almost always hiding and I usually never see him. The two other rams give this one no interest. Is this normal? does this describe certain genders? I thought they were all males.

Do you have any pictures of your tank and fish to share? Also what size tank? I have 2 males in a 55 together and they do occasionally have territorial bouts and hangout separately, but no damage to each other and both have great colours and are active. Key to any cichlid keeping is comparable size and temperament along with space and hiding for each fish. Just have to scale both to the size of the particular cichlid.

Ie a ram might need a foot between his nearest neighbour an oscar might need 3 or 4 feet. (In foot print)

My tanks 44 gallons. They were bought at the same time so they are all about the same size. I went through the amount of pictures I could add on AA and I dont know how to use photo bucket.

My tanks 44 gallons. They were bought at the same time so they are all about the same size. I went through the amount of pictures I could add on AA and I dont know how to use photo bucket.

If all are eating and show no other signs of stress and no fin nipping is happening you should be ok. That might be the territories they have staked out. If you havent already add a school of dither fish. I keep rasboras and guppies but tetras would also work. Mid level fish above them tend to reduce their stress levels.

You should be fine if that is all their doing, dont try breeding though unless only one male is in that tank.

Would recommend a higher up fish for your tank given its dimensions, would add another layer to look at.

Back
Top Bottom