Bottom feeder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JF213

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do you need a bottom feeder or algae eater in a 125g Sa/ca tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's not required, though I find that having cleanup fish, such as corys, keeps the bottom of the tank clean and helps keep the nitrates in check.

It's not required, though I find that having cleanup fish, such as corys, keeps the bottom of the tank clean and helps keep the nitrates in check.

It's doesn't keep the nitrates down, you're literally upping the bio load by adding catfish. It's not like they eat poop or magically absorb nitrates.

Also OP we need to know your Cichlid stock before recommending any tank mates.

Yup - food consumed by bottom feeders becomes nitrates just as uneaten food ultimately does. Perhaps the consumption reduces the amount of nitrates some...

Agreed, without knowing which cichlids you have, it's impossible to make any recommendations.

I no longer keep bottom feeders due to the EXTRA poop especially plecos poop like crazy and drive me crazy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a gt, a severum, 2 fire mouths, and a black convict. I tried Cories with my fire mouths and black convict (before adding the gt and severum) but all my Cories magically lost their eyes.

Someone at a different forum suggested that they would work.

I wanted to stick with something under 9", if possible.

Loaches? There are a ton that stay less than 9 inches. Yoyo loaches would be a good choice, or Angelicus loaches if money is burning a hole in your pocket. Or you can take it to the next level and get some skunk loaches. Not all that big, but aggressive. And if you want something along those lines but bigger, there's the skunks cousin the blue Botia.

How many yoyo loaches would you add to a 125g tank?

How many yoyo loaches would you add to a 125g tank?

With out knowing your cichlid stock loaches really can't be recommended. You also have to realize cichlids and catfish/loaches all occupy the bottom and unless you get some of the larger armored cats they'll stand no chance.

In a 125 I would get like 10 yoyos.

With out knowing your cichlid stock loaches really can't be recommended. You also have to realize cichlids and catfish/loaches all occupy the bottom and unless you get some of the larger armored cats they'll stand no chance.

The stock was listed a few posts ago.

Ah, I see that now. I wouldn't add loaches with that mix personally, they'll end up missing eyes just like the cories.

Not in my experience with a very similar setup. There is a WORLD of difference between Corys and the loaches mentioned. In addition to attitude and behavior, loaches are quite capable of defending themselves while Corys are not.

Mog what would you add if anything?

It all depends on the temperament of the fish. I've kept an assortment of loaches/cats with various cichlids over the years and it was always just a headache and allot more poop.
They occupy the same space with in the aquarium and one normally spooks the other shooting them into the glass/rocks. You'd be better off choosing fish that stick to the top half of the tank or swim all over. Such as larger tetras/danios, barbs, and swords/platies/mollies.

I'm not sure where this misconception that you need a "CUC" or bottom feeders in a Cichlid tank is coming from. All it does is increase bioload, and I don't care what's been stated on other threads no fish eats another's poop.

If you want loaches or cat fish set up a tank where they are the star, don't try to squeeze them into a set up where they real won't be suited and will likely be very stressed out.

Mog what would you add if anything?

I would pick either South American or Central American and then decide what type of tank you'd like:

-Species only display
- Breeding Set up
-"Community" display
- "Biotope" display

It all depends on the temperament of the fish. I've kept an assortment of loaches/cats with various cichlids over the years and it was always just a headache and allot more poop.
They occupy the same space with in the aquarium and one normally spooks the other shooting them into the glass/rocks.

I've had the complete opposite experience keeping cichlids and loaches together in a 125.

I've had the complete opposite experience keeping cichlids and loaches together in a 125.

Well that's great for you, but that's been my experience. All my fish now are very sensitive to water quality so now I keep the bioloads as low as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom