Bowfront tank for Cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KPhilly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are bowfront tanks good for Cichlids? I have about an 80G bowfront tank and wanted to look into Mbuna (If it's spelled correctly) cichlids. How many could I get and could I go planted?

Planted a risk. I started with a 72 gal bow front and it worked great. Here's an old pic. U can go about 20 fish if u keep the smaller species. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395289308.310961.jpg

Ha. Some I got at pet store but most was from landscape supply store/yard. Each week after water change I add a couple teaspoons of cichlid salt and cichlid buffer. Also have 40 lb or aragonite sand mixed in w pool filter sand on bottom. That keeps ph about 7.5 without even the little buffer powder.

The 80 is four feet long, so you should have no issues keeping the less aggressive species of Mbuna. I would stay away from Kenyi, Auratus, and Johanni. Using aragonite sand or shells works well to maintain pH at a constant without having to buffer your water. As mentioned, landscape supply companies or quarries are a great source for cheap rock, but sure and test it prior to placing in your aquarium. I would also recommend staying away from a planted tank with Mbuna. Mbuna are herbivores and most types of plant are viewed as a treat by them. You can occasionally get away with some, such as anubias.

Think I'm gonna get those! Do they like driftwood too? Or do I need to just go with rocks and slabs? Know any place to order aragonite sand? Like a black color?

Back
Top Bottom