Brasiliensis in a 170g tropical community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactuspixie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had to remove one of my two Brasiliensis from my cichlid tank last night. It was rapidly losing condition from being bullied mainly by the other Brasiliensis, but also by the Spilurums.
They wouldn't let it eat and kept it pinned to a corner of the tank, so I pulled it out and stuck it in a 40g that has a bunch of juvie bristlenose and a single Spilurum (all of which are in the process of being rehomed).
Almost immediately he was terrorized again by that single fish.
This morning he had wedged himself down between the glass and a piece of wood for some protection. He didn't look in good shape and I wasn't sure he'd be alive when I got home from work.
He was alive however, but still absolutely terrified. the only tank I could really add him to to try and save him, was the 170g that is home to a school of Congo tetras, a shoal of cories, 2 big Eupterus, a few Nigriventris, a Gibbiceps and some kuhlis. He instantly began to swim properly, with fins expanded, and ate hungrily.
What I'm wondering, is what may happen in that tank overnight? Will he go nuts and attack the other inhabitants? Are the Eupterus likely to take up bullying him? I really didn't want to have to put him in a tank that was stable and peaceful, but I didn't want him to continue suffering, either. Am I going to regret my decision?
Any ideas on why that particular cichlid may have suddenly become such a target?

From my experience once a cichlid shows a weakness then others will take advantage of it. I think it should be fine in the new tank. If all the other fish have been fine together I don't think the geo will disrupt the harmony. It should just be happy to live peacefully. Good luck.

From my experience once a cichlid shows a weakness then others will take advantage of it. I think it should be fine in the new tank. If all the other fish have been fine together I don't think the geo will disrupt the harmony. It should just be happy to live peacefully. Good luck.

Thanks for the reassurance :)
So far so good. He is happily swimming all over the tank, greedily gobbling up frozen blood worms and foraging with the cories for NLS pellets. He looks so much better now and hopefully the tears in his tail and fins will heal up quickly. I haven't seen him bothering anyone and no one has bothered him (although that's how it had been for months when he was with the rest of the cichlids) so that may well become his permanent home :)

A not so good development: one of my larger Congo tetras is missing a piece of his tail. :cry: I'm going to go back to over feeding, as I had been cutting back on food the past few days and this may have triggered the cichlid to chase down some food for himself. I'd rather the fish be fat and lazy and do twice the tank maintenance if it means he won't bite his tank mates.

Back
Top Bottom