Breed convicts to use fry as feeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Supercichlid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering if anyone has done this before, and wondering of its a good idea. The reason being I want to give my big cichlid tank some live food.

It is a good idea, as mine breed like freaking rabbits. But the fry grow very slowly. I feel like you would need several breeder tanks to keep a steady supply of fry that would actually have some sort of nutritional value.

Live fish offer little to no nutritional value, can lead to illness such as fatty liver disease, and create more issues in the tank such as aggression, there are much better alternatives for live foods such as nightcrawlers and other large insects.

Alright sounds like it is better to just keep up with the frozen foods. Thanks!

Why it is true that they are not the greatest food source, breeding cons for live feeders is by far better then using goldfish or minnows. As they have been fead quality food themselves. As well as reducing the chance of diseases.

I have kept cons off and on for a very long time for just this reason. I surely don't see any reason not to feed them live once a month or two with the con fry. I'm currently growing a pair out now that will have a divided 55 so I can feed my 125 when I finally stock it.

Back
Top Bottom