Breeding Corydoras Aeneus- looking for suggestions to improve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoryMomma

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,
I’ve got a VERY prolific mating pair who started laying eggs about five months ago. They now lay about 120 eggs in each spawn, and spawn about every 4-8 days.

You probably think I’m overrun with catfish babies. I should be, but sadly only a few of the thousand plus eggs have survived to be juveniles.

Here’s where I’m experiencing losses:
Eggs— only about 50% appear to be viable. My best method is gently rolling them off the glass, placing them in a 1 cup container with exact same temp RO water and 5 drops hydrogen peroxide. I change that water 2-3 times daily and pick out underutilized eggs. I’m not seeing any external fungus/bacteria, only white spots inside some eggs.

Hatch through first 72 hours— as soon as they hatch I gently pour the wigglers into a specimen box that’s been hanging inside the aquarium and is all the same temp as the eggs were. This container has RO water in it the same as the egg hatch water. In previous attempts I used tank water and would lose all (literally ALL!) of my wigglers for unknown reasons. Since RO is very pure and low bacteria, I suspect this is why the wigglers survival rate is up. I add a fine air stone for circulation, but I don’t change the water. I do use a pipe tote to suck out anything dead. I also start adding tank water a few mL at a time.

3-7 days after hatching— only after egg sacs are absorbed I start adding a little bit of mulm and start exchanging 1/2 cup of the specimen box water for the tank water. As soon as they’ve fully transitioned to tank water, i gently pour them into a fluval breeder box running on tank water. It has decent circulation and same temp as main tank. I have fed Hikari first bites and Sera Micron fry food, but I actually have better luck just giving them mulm for the first week or so. Once I start feeding these foods, I usually lose whatever has survived up to this point. I feed BBS to the fish in the main tank at this point, and a small amount will flow into the breeder box for the fry too.

The dead ones sometimes look like their bellies are bloated and white. Sometimes the wigglers race to the surface like they’re trying to get air, which is a sure sign they’re about to die.

If you’ve raised cory fry before, I would love to hear specifics about any steps to help increase survival rates.

And because I know someone will need to know 0-0-0, 78F, 8 month old tank running sponge filter and an external canister. Well cycled and full of good beneficial bacteria. Inhabitants include 2 adult Cory’s, 4 juveniles, 1 otocinclus, 2 amano shrimp, 3 dwarf rainbow fish, 2 large Nettie snails, a lot of MTS and ramshorn snails. Driftwood, large Amazon sword, dwarf Sagittarius, chain sword, Java moss. Substrate is quartz sand, 2” deep. What details did I miss?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The reason only half the eggs are being fertilised is because you only have 1 male. In the wild there are normally a number of males breeding with each female and all or nearly all of the eggs get fertilised. However, with only one male, he will try but be unlikely to fertilise all of the eggs.

What do you mean by feeding the babies on mulm?

If the babies are dying after they start swimming it is either ammonia poisoning from lack of filtration or lack of water changes (you mention you don't do water changes on them at the start), or lack of food, and quite often both.

Rearing tanks should have a biologically establish air operated sponge filter in them to remove any ammonia from the fish food being fed to the fry. You can have a thin layer of sand on the bottom of the container too and add some live plants.

I don't recommend handling fish eggs or trying to scrape them off glass. Some people do it and get away with it but if you handle the eggs too soon after they were laid, or handle them roughly, you can kill them. It's preferable to put the adult fish into their own breeding tank and let them lay all the eggs they want, then remove the adults and leave the eggs to develop and hatch out undisturbed. Adult Corydoras don't normally eat their eggs or fry if they are well fed and a lot of people simply have the adult Cories in a tank and leave them there permanently and simply remove the young to sell.

Baby Corydoras can usually take newly hatched brineshrimp and vinegar eels, with the vinegar eels being smaller and they sink to the bottom where the babies hang out. Vinegar eels are actually a small worm that can be cultured in apple cider vinegar and is worth looking into for your fish. You might also want to try hatching your own brineshrimp eggs, and possibly even culturing infusoria and green water for the babies. The following link has information about culturing some of these foods and might be of interest to you.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish-380381.html#post3578561

Yes you should get another male or two. A good ratio is 3 males per female.

It seems you might be handling the eggs too much. I scrape the eggs off the glass when they spawn and put them directly into the Fluval breeder box. Hang the box inside the tank to stabilize the temp. I use Jungle Fungus Clear tabs for anti-fungus, 1/4 tab for the large (1/2 gal.) Fluval box. You can use RO water if you want but be sure to put an air line in there for circulation. 5 drops hydrogen peroxide seems like a lot for a cup, I use 10 drops per gallon every 12 hours for Angelfish eggs. After the eggs hatch take the breeding box and hang it on the outside of the tank and hook up the uplift tube but leave the air stone in there. I have put a thin layer of sand in the Fluval box but all that does is makes the baby cories hard to see, a clean bottom works better.

They don't eat mulm, that is probably why the survival rate is so low. I feed mine micro-worms once a day. Micro-worms can live for 24 hours in the water. Wouldn't hurt to try that next time. Newly hatched brine shrimp should also work.

Oh and be sure to put some type of plant material in with them. Java moss or even green hair algae work great. They always do better with some plant material in there as they eat the small organisms that inhabit the plant.

To add to these posts, you can try adding some pieces of indian almond leaves so that they help reduce bacteria blooms and help create a base of infusoria for the fry to eat. As mentioned, most Cory fry can eat newly hatched brine shrimp as a first food. Live is preferred over frozen or freeze dried. It's the motion that kicks in their instinct to feed.
Also , as mentioned, you want to have more males with the females. I've used 3 or 4 to every female. I've seen farms where a pool with 5 females would have about 20 males in with them. This is not a specie where a one on one pair will produce a lot of fry.
Hope this helps. (y)

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The reason only half the eggs are being fertilised is because you only have 1 male. In the wild there are normally a number of males breeding with each female and all or nearly all of the eggs get fertilised. However, with only one male, he will try but be unlikely to fertilise all of the eggs.

What do you mean by feeding the babies on mulm?

If the babies are dying after they start swimming it is either ammonia poisoning from lack of filtration or lack of water changes (you mention you don't do water changes on them at the start), or lack of food, and quite often both.

Rearing tanks should have a biologically establish air operated sponge filter in them to remove any ammonia from the fish food being fed to the fry. You can have a thin layer of sand on the bottom of the container too and add some live plants.

I don't recommend handling fish eggs or trying to scrape them off glass. Some people do it and get away with it but if you handle the eggs too soon after they were laid, or handle them roughly, you can kill them. It's preferable to put the adult fish into their own breeding tank and let them lay all the eggs they want, then remove the adults and leave the eggs to develop and hatch out undisturbed. Adult Corydoras don't normally eat their eggs or fry if they are well fed and a lot of people simply have the adult Cories in a tank and leave them there permanently and simply remove the young to sell.

Baby Corydoras can usually take newly hatched brineshrimp and vinegar eels, with the vinegar eels being smaller and they sink to the bottom where the babies hang out. Vinegar eels are actually a small worm that can be cultured in apple cider vinegar and is worth looking into for your fish. You might also want to try hatching your own brineshrimp eggs, and possibly even culturing infusoria and green water for the babies. The following link has information about culturing some of these foods and might be of interest to you.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish-380381.html#post3578561

This advice is invaluable! Thank you!
I’ve read the link you provided as well. Fantastic information. I have been googling nightly in my search for information, posting questions to forums, and generally coming up with few specifics.

I have additional questions…

1. Is the hang-on breeder box with air stone circulated water from the main tank enough filtration, or do you think a separate grow out tank with conditioned sponge is necessary? So far, I’ve not had any issues over-crowding the breeder box because of low survival rate.

2. I have not been doing water changes in the first 48 hours after hatching because I’m not yet feeding them and they are still absorbing their egg sac and not producing waste—in theory. Is this wrong?

2.1. If I’m hatching the eggs in RO water with hydrogen peroxide as antifungal, when and how should I transition them to tank water? The tank water has higher pH, higher TDS, higher oxygen, and I’m assuming more bacteria.

3. Food advice- thank you! I forgot to mention I was feeding vinegar eels in addition to BBS. My Infusoria experiment looked and smelled like a biohazard, so I haven’t fed them any of that. I will try again with your advice- thank you!

4. I actually bought this whole tank, fish, plants, shrimp, etc from the LFS with about 3” of water and all its inhabitants included. I’ve had an H of a time with it. I bought a dozen CPDs and they all went through slow death, various issues, since November when I bought the tank. I also lost one of the adult Cory that came with the tank- fungus and white blotches. I did notice that the previous owner let a fish die in the tank—I actually found some rib bones. It had a betta in it at the LFS, but I didn’t take the betta home because I have no experience with them and fear they are difficult/prone to disease. So my question, is there a potential this whole tank is riddled with some disease? Should I just harvest the eggs and hatch them out in completely separate tank and try not to cross contaminate?

5. Yesterday the adult pair laid 125 eggs. I took out 25 infertile eggs today, leaving 100 potentially viable. I can see the wigglers moving inside the eggs. So exciting! Seems like a very successful mating so far. I usually lose them about 24-48 hours after they first hatch. Any suggestions to get through this critical phase?

Thank you again. I am so appreciative for the experience and guidance you have given!

Yes you should get another male or two. A good ratio is 3 males per female.

It seems you might be handling the eggs too much. I scrape the eggs off the glass when they spawn and put them directly into the Fluval breeder box. Hang the box inside the tank to stabilize the temp. I use Jungle Fungus Clear tabs for anti-fungus, 1/4 tab for the large (1/2 gal.) Fluval box. You can use RO water if you want but be sure to put an air line in there for circulation. 5 drops hydrogen peroxide seems like a lot for a cup, I use 10 drops per gallon every 12 hours for Angelfish eggs. After the eggs hatch take the breeding box and hang it on the outside of the tank and hook up the uplift tube but leave the air stone in there. I have put a thin layer of sand in the Fluval box but all that does is makes the baby cories hard to see, a clean bottom works better.

They don't eat mulm, that is probably why the survival rate is so low. I feed mine micro-worms once a day. Micro-worms can live for 24 hours in the water. Wouldn't hurt to try that next time. Newly hatched brine shrimp should also work.

Oh and be sure to put some type of plant material in with them. Java moss or even green hair algae work great. They always do better with some plant material in there as they eat the small organisms that inhabit the plant.

Thank you!
A few videos on YouTube suggested the mulm to help the fry during the first week. I thought they ate the bacteria and Infusoria that lived in the mulm. If it’s not necessary, I’ll skip it.

Are vinegar eels and Microworms very different in terms of nutritional value? I have vinegar eels. Not sure where to get Microworms. Is that something that can be found outdoors? I’m in WI too.

I’ll cut back a bit on the hydrogen peroxide. Again, the 5 drops per cup came from YouTube.

I have been looking for more of these Cory’s to prevent inbreeding (if I ever get successful at raising them!), but the LFS doesn’t carry such common things. I hate to hit to the big box stores, but they might be the only option to get more of these basic fish.

Thanks for your help!

To add to these posts, you can try adding some pieces of indian almond leaves so that they help reduce bacteria blooms and help create a base of infusoria for the fry to eat. As mentioned, most Cory fry can eat newly hatched brine shrimp as a first food. Live is preferred over frozen or freeze dried. It's the motion that kicks in their instinct to feed.
Also , as mentioned, you want to have more males with the females. I've used 3 or 4 to every female. I've seen farms where a pool with 5 females would have about 20 males in with them. This is not a specie where a one on one pair will produce a lot of fry.
Hope this helps. (y)

Thanks for these tips. I will try IAL with the fry to reduce bacteria. I have some in the main tank too.

A few of the juveniles are nearly parent sized, so perhaps there will be a few more males in the mix. Should I allow a male offspring to fertilize its mother’s eggs? Would Darwin frown upon this?

Thanks for these tips. I will try IAL with the fry to reduce bacteria. I have some in the main tank too.

A few of the juveniles are nearly parent sized, so perhaps there will be a few more males in the mix. Should I allow a male offspring to fertilize its mother’s eggs? Would Darwin frown upon this?
The fact of the matter is that many domesticated fish lines were created by breeding parents to children and Brothers to Sisters. That is how you lock in genetic traits. As for Darwin's approval, I'm not sure he really knew at the time of how adaptations happened only THAT they happened. :)

As for your other questions, with my Sterbai and Aneas, I set up a tank for the breeders to spawn in then removed the parents after spawning. The eggs and fry never leave that tank until they have grown enough to hold their own. I put almond leaves in when I took the breeders out so that there was some decay by the time the fry were ready to start feeding. I used an internal sponge filter for filtration and aeration so that the fry had a place to hide and feed off of as well.

I would not use straight RO water for the spawning tank. It would need to be re-mineralized before being used. Personally, I didn't use different water from the rest of the hatchery to hatch out the eggs. If this does not work for you, in order to acclimate the fry to your harder water, you would need to do replace small amounts of the RO water in the rearing tank with the water that matches your grow out tank. Do no more than 5% -10% of volume every other day. Your fry will tell you if they do not like the new water. At that point, you will need to remove the almond leaves as they will continue to soften the water.

As for the wigglers not producing waste, that is incorrect. They are absorbing nutrition so if there is intake, there is output. ;) If you keep the fry in the breeder tank, the volume of water will dilute the waste as will the nitrifying bacteria in the sponge filter.

As for losing them 24-48 hours after hatching, that's usually a sign that the water is not right. I suspect it's because of the lack of minerals. Before the eggs hatch, I'd start replacing some that water with re-mineralized water or whatever water you use for the main tank. (y)

Micro worms and vinegar eels are similar small worms. the Vinegar Eels should work OK so no need to add micro-worms. What kind of breeder box? Is it the one with a removeable air driven uplift tube for water circulation. I will assume so for the following.

I would not use all RO water. I would use about 1/2 and 1/2 RO water and tap water. There are always several ways to do anything. Here is my method for hatching C. Aeneus. Scrape the eggs off the glass with a razor blade, credit card etc. Put them in a clean breeder box. remove the uplift tube and hang the breeder box inside the main tank. This will keep the temperature stable. Put in your anti fungal and an air stone to keep the water circulating and add oxygen. I use Jungle Fungus Clear tabs from Walmart, 1/2 tab per gallon. H2O2 is supposed to work but seems a little iffy to me. Methylene Blue is what a lot of people use.

They will hatch in about three days and you will see the little specs flitting around. When the have hatched turn the breeder box around and hang it on the outside of the tank and install the air driven uplift tube. The water circulation will dissipate the anti fungal. It doesn't hurt to leave the air stone in there and you should put in a little plant material. Catappa leaves, Java moss, even green hair algae is OK. They always seem to do better with some plant material in there.

I feed micro worms once a day because they live for about 24 hours and wiggle around on the bottom where the babies are. The vinegar eels should do the same. Keep the box as clean as possible as they tend to accumulate debris from the main tank.
Keep some food in there for them, clean fresh water and plenty of oxygen in the water and you should be on your way. After a couple of weeks I move them to a working 2-1/2 gallon tank to grow out a little and start feeding them shrimp pellets.. When they get bigger they go into a bigger tank.

1. Is the hang-on breeder box with air stone circulated water from the main tank enough filtration, or do you think a separate grow out tank with conditioned sponge is necessary? So far, I’ve not had any issues over-crowding the breeder box because of low survival rate.

I don't use breeding boxes/ traps for fish. If I breed fish, they get put into their own tank (usually a 2 foot long tank for most fish less than 3 inches long) with an air operated sponge filter, some sand or gravel on the bottom, lots of plants or spawning mops and a heater. The males & females are separated for around 5 days before being added to the breeding tank. After they finish breeding, the adults come out unless they look after the eggs and young, the water level is dropped to about 4-6 inches and the babies are reared up in that tank.

I drop the water level for the babies so when they hatch and start swimming around, there is less water and the fry are closer to the food. This means the babies use less energy to find food.

-----------------

2. I have not been doing water changes in the first 48 hours after hatching because I’m not yet feeding them and they are still absorbing their egg sac and not producing waste—in theory. Is this wrong?

2.1. If I’m hatching the eggs in RO water with hydrogen peroxide as antifungal, when and how should I transition them to tank water? The tank water has higher pH, higher TDS, higher oxygen, and I’m assuming more bacteria.

2) You don't need to do water changes until after they start swimming around and eating. And if you have a filter in the tank, you can start doing water changes after a few weeks.

I normally start with a tank that has 4-6 inches of water and each day I add a couple of litres of green water and infusoria. This slowly increases the water level over a few weeks and once the babies are a couple of weeks old, they should be readily eating newly hatched brineshrimp. You can tell if they are eating the brineshrimp because they get orange bellies. Once all the fry are eating brineshrimp, you can start doing 10-20% water changes each day for a few weeks, then increase it to 50% each day.

In my tanks I would do a 75-90% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day, once the fry where readily eating newly hatched brineshrimp and microworms. The big water changes keep disease organisms down and help dilute any growth inhibiting hormones produced by the fish. You don't have to do water changes this often but I find the fish grow a lot faster with big regular water changes.

I had water holding tanks in my fish room and the water was always aged for at least a week before it was used in any tank. Most people can't do this at home but it does help if you can have some water sitting around so you can do water changes each day if required or wanted.

The water in my holding tanks was generally the same temperature and had the same pH, GH & KH as the rearing tanks. This meant I could do huge water changes on fry tanks and they weren't exposed to sudden changes in water chemistry or temperature.

-----

2.1) What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

If your tap water has a low mineral content and doesn't contain anything toxic, you probably don't need to use reverse osmosis water. However, if the water is hard (has lots of minerals) then using some reverse osmosis water with some tap water would make it more suitable for the Corydoras. These catfish naturally occur in soft water (GH below 100ppm) and a slightly acidic pH (6.5-7.0), but some species come from water with a neutral (pH of 7.0) or slightly alkaline pH (pH around 7.5). If the pH of your water is between 6.5 & 7.5, it should be fine for most Corydoras unless you are dealing with wild caught fishes, and that is unlikely with bronze Cories (C. aeneus). If you get wild caught fish, it will be written on the tank and they usually cost a lot more.

If you are using reverse osmosis (r/o) water and a clean hatching container, there shouldn't be any need to use an anti-fungal treatment because the water should be free of pathogens. I never used anti-fungal treatments in my hatching tanks and I rarely had eggs get fungus on them. The fungus that normally affects fish eggs is Saprolegnia fungus and it looks like white hairs sticking up from the egg. The white hairs are about 3-4mm long and quite distinctive. You could try hatching eggs without fungal treatment and see if it helps.

If you do hatch them in r/o water, you should wait until they are at least one (preferably 3) month old before trying to change their water chemistry by adding harder water to their tank. Then you only want to add a very small amount of new water to the rearing tank and don't do it more than a couple of times a week. Andy's suggestion of 5% every few days is about as fast as you want to try changing the water chemistry and I would prefer it to be no more than 5% twice a week until they are 6 months old. When they are older they can tolerate bigger fluctuation much better than small fry can.

-----

Any water with aeration will have a higher oxygen level than stagnant water. High oxygen levels can also raise the pH a bit and high carbon dioxide levels can drop the pH a lot.

TDS is painful :) Most TDS meters measure anything dissolved in the water and this can be minerals like calcium and magnesium, but also algae, fine sediment in the water, and even tannins from rotting plant matter. I prefer to measure pH, GH & KH and leave it at that. You can usually lower the TDS a bit by doing water changes and gravel cleaning the substrate, and by having a clean filter in the tank. In my opinion, it's just too variable and measures too much stuff to give useful information. If it's used in conjunction with other tests like pH, GH & KH, then it's more useful, but on its own, a TDS meter is a fancy gadget that doesn't help as much as it should.

-----

Established aquariums are home to all sorts of awful looking things that make your skin crawl (literally). Fish live in a soup of microscopic organisms including bacteria, fungus, viruses, protozoans, worms, flukes and various other things. Doing a big water change and gravel cleaning the substrate on a regular basis, cleaning the filter monthly and wiping the inside of the glass down each week, will dilute these organisms and reduce their numbers in the water, thus making it a safer and healthier environment for the fish. However, it's best to use clean water (not from an established aquarium) in a breeding tank to reduce the risk of harmful pathogens getting into the tank and harming the eggs or fry.

-----------------

3. Food advice- thank you! I forgot to mention I was feeding vinegar eels in addition to BBS. My Infusoria experiment looked and smelled like a biohazard, so I haven’t fed them any of that. I will try again with your advice- thank you!

If you are feeding vinegar eels that should help. The biggest hurdle for baby fish in the first few weeks of life is getting enough food in every cubic inch of water. You want enough food in the water so the fry only have to move 1/4 to 1/2 inch to get something to eat. This is where reducing the water level helps, because it brings the fry and food closer together. However, the smaller volume of water can deteriorate much quicker and you need to make sure it stays clean. An air operated sponge filter helps with this. You use an air operated sponge filter so it doesn't suck the fry up and kill them.

If your infusoria culture turns black and smells like an open sewer at 7am, that is caused by no aeration. As the plant matter breaks down, it needs oxygen for good bacteria to grow. Without aeration, the culture turns black and becomes anaerobic (lacking oxygen) and makes everyone in the house freak out about who farted. All my green water and infusoria cultures have lots of aeration to stop this happening.

-----------------

4. I actually bought this whole tank, fish, plants, shrimp, etc from the LFS with about 3” of water and all its inhabitants included. I’ve had an H of a time with it. I bought a dozen CPDs and they all went through slow death, various issues, since November when I bought the tank. I also lost one of the adult Cory that came with the tank- fungus and white blotches. I did notice that the previous owner let a fish die in the tank—I actually found some rib bones. It had a betta in it at the LFS, but I didn’t take the betta home because I have no experience with them and fear they are difficult/prone to disease. So my question, is there a potential this whole tank is riddled with some disease? Should I just harvest the eggs and hatch them out in completely separate tank and try not to cross contaminate?

White blotches on fish is usually excess mucous caused by something in the water irritating the fish. It can be poor water quality (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate incorrect pH), or an external protozoan infection like Costia. Big daily water changes and gravel cleaning the substrate usually helps if it's a water quality issue. If there is no improvement after a few days of water changes, then add some salt to kill off external protozoan parasites like Costia, Chilodonella or Trichodina.

Bettas are no more prone to disease than any other fish. They are heavily inbred and that has made them physically weaker, but they usually have fewer diseases because they are normally kept alone and don't get exposed to lots of new diseases from other fish.

As for the tank being riddled with disease, any fish tank that has fish in for more than a few months, will be riddled with diseases. As mentioned above, aquariums are a cesspool of microscopic organisms and most fish sold in shops are infected with something. If you are concerned about something bad being in the tank, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. This will dilute most of the disease organisms in the aquarium and provide a cleaner place for the fish. Then do a 75% water change and gravel clean once a week after that.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Breeding the fish in a clean, freshly set up tank containing new water is generally the safest way to go if you want to reduce the number of disease organisms in the water. However, diseases and parasites can hide in plants and ornaments so these should be rinsed before being added to a breeding/ rearing tank.

-----------------

5. Yesterday the adult pair laid 125 eggs. I took out 25 infertile eggs today, leaving 100 potentially viable. I can see the wigglers moving inside the eggs. So exciting! Seems like a very successful mating so far. I usually lose them about 24-48 hours after they first hatch. Any suggestions to get through this critical phase?

See above and try different things. Eventually you will work out what is causing the problem and then things fall into place and you will be overrun by baby fish :)

If your local shop doesn't get bronze Cories in normally, ask them if they can order 6-10 in for you. Shops have a number of suppliers and usually carry what sells. Some shops carry a few unusual items and others only carry bread and butter species (guppies, neon tetras, angelfish). But they all have access to a wide variety of fish and most shops will order in fish for you if you ask nicely. You might have to put down a deposit and I would suggest being at the shop when the fish come in so you can check them as they come out of the box. You can then get the shop to re-gas the bag (with oxygen) of fish and take them straight home, or let the shop put them in their tanks for a week before you take them. I don't recommend taking the fish home if they have been in the shop tank for a couple of days. The fish suffer a lot of stress when being shipped and put into different tanks. So giving them a week in the shop tank before you take them, gives the fish a chance to recover from the first journey before they go on the next one to your place.

You should also try to avoid buying fish if they have just had a water change done or had one in the last couple of days. Water changes can stress new fish (especially if the water chemistry is significantly different) and letting them recover for 4 or 5 days after a water change will usually give you better results.

-----

2.1) What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

If your tap water has a low mineral content and doesn't contain anything toxic, you probably don't need to use reverse osmosis water. However, if the water is hard (has lots of minerals) then using some reverse osmosis water with some tap water would make it more suitable for the Corydoras. These catfish naturally occur in soft water (GH below 100ppm) and a slightly acidic pH (6.5-7.0), but some species come from water with a neutral (pH of 7.0) or slightly alkaline pH (pH around 7.5). If the pH of your water is between 6.5 & 7.5, it should be fine for most Corydoras unless you are dealing with wild caught fishes, and that is unlikely with bronze Cories (C. aeneus). If you get wild caught fish, it will be written on the tank and they usually cost a lot more.

If you are using reverse osmosis (r/o) water and a clean hatching container, there shouldn't be any need to use an anti-fungal treatment because the water should be free of pathogens. I never used anti-fungal treatments in my hatching tanks and I rarely had eggs get fungus on them. The fungus that normally affects fish eggs is Saprolegnia fungus and it looks like white hairs sticking up from the egg. The white hairs are about 3-4mm long and quite distinctive. You could try hatching eggs without fungal treatment and see if it helps.

If you do hatch them in r/o water, you should wait until they are at least one (preferably 3) month old before trying to change their water chemistry by adding harder water to their tank. Then you only want to add a very small amount of new water to the rearing tank and don't do it more than a couple of times a week. Andy's suggestion of 5% every few days is about as fast as you want to try changing the water chemistry and I would prefer it to be no more than 5% twice a week until they are 6 months old. When they are older they can tolerate bigger fluctuation much better than small fry can.

You are just a fountain of incredibly useful information! I am grateful, truly.

6 fry hatched so far tonight. I haven’t lost and eggs over the last 24 hours, so could be 100 wigglers in the morning!

I have the eggs and wigglers in a container floating in the aquarium. It has about 1/2 RO water and 1/2 tank water. I’m hoping after the eggs hatch that I can super slowly (per your above suggestion timeline) transition to tank water.

Local water: we are on dolomitic limestone bedrock. Very high calcium carbonate plus magnesium. Natural pH is 8.4. KH and gh were both 12 and 16 dgh ( or vice versa) last time I checked the tap water. (This water would be perfect for a reef aquarium or some cichlids, but I just love green planted tanks and very peaceful fish) depending on how new the RO filter is, I usually do about 75% RO to 25% tap, plus API tap water conditioner for chlorine/chloramine. I test for chlorine before I add the water to the tank because town water supply sometimes gets flooded and they compensate with bonus chlorine.

My water mixing is probably not too accurate. Fine for the adults, but I hadn’t considered how sensitive the fry are. Thanks for pointing that out. I will need to stockpile water for the fry to keep it consistent. What do most people use for aged water tanks? I was thinking of a Rubbermaid garbage bin. Is that crazy?

Thanks again. Your help is much appreciated!

Thank you so much for this additional information. These are excellent tips. Eggs are hatching already tonight and I expect nearly all will be wiggling around in the morning. I am following your advice and have mixed more tap water into the RO for the fry. Once I have acclimated them slowly to the main tank water they can live in the breeder box with circulation. Fingers crossed!!

The one thing it seems is most necessary is patience. No sudden changes, foster stable water conditions, and prepare in advance for water changes. Thank you!

Back To Basics When Breeding Fish…start the cycle of life all over again.

The mods should make this a sticky! I wasn’t able to reply directly to the thread because it said it was 184 days old, but it should definitely be pinned to the top.
Such excellent advice. All of us should be reminded of this no matter where we are on our fish keeping journey.

Great information. Thank you!

Local water: we are on dolomitic limestone bedrock. Very high calcium carbonate plus magnesium. Natural pH is 8.4. KH and gh were both 12 and 16 dgh ( or vice versa) last time I checked the tap water. (This water would be perfect for a reef aquarium or some cichlids, but I just love green planted tanks and very peaceful fish) depending on how new the RO filter is, I usually do about 75% RO to 25% tap, plus API tap water conditioner for chlorine/chloramine. I test for chlorine before I add the water to the tank because town water supply sometimes gets flooded and they compensate with bonus chlorine.

My water mixing is probably not too accurate. Fine for the adults, but I hadn’t considered how sensitive the fry are. Thanks for pointing that out. I will need to stockpile water for the fry to keep it consistent. What do most people use for aged water tanks? I was thinking of a Rubbermaid garbage bin. Is that crazy?

If the general hardness is 12dGH, then I would use a 50/50 mix of r/o water with tap water. That would give you a GH of 6dGH (around 107ppm) and that would be fine for adult and baby Corydoras. Adult Corydoras should be fine in water with a GH around 200ppm (11 dGH), however they live longer in softer water.

I had triple tier stands in my fish room and the top tanks were used for water holding. I filled them with a hose made from black poly pipe (irrigation tubing) and used a second hose to drain water down into the lower tanks when doing water changes.

I used black irrigation hose because it doesn't container softening agents. Normal garden hoses contain a softening agent to stop the hose bending and kinking. The softening agent leaches into the water and is highly toxic to all animals, not just fish. More chemical is released into the water in warm weather than cool weather. If you use a garden hose to fill a tank, run water through the hose for 5 minutes before filling the tank or holding container.

A friend of mine used a 200 litre plastic wine barrel in his fish room. A number of people use plastic storage containers, but try to get food grade containers because some cheaper containers leach chemicals into the water over time and you can lose fish. I knew a guy that had a 20,000 litre rainwater tank for his fish room.

Update- Wiggle it!

24 hours after the first eggs hatched…

125 eggs to start
-24 infertile
-7 dead fry (3 crooked spines, 3 unknown, 1 failed to get loose from the egg shell)

50 eggs left to hatch, and I could sit there watching them all night.

I’ve got them in a specimen 1/2 gallon box inside the main tank for temperature stability. They have IAL, Java moss, and a few BBS and vinegar Ella that came in with the moss.

I’m trying to be super cautious of anything that cause fluctuations in water quality. How much water can I change in this box? 5%, twice a week was mentioned above. Any suggestions on how to clean the bottom without losing too much water?

Thanks everyone for your help. I love these little babies!

Babies born with bent spines are genetic defects and wouldn't normally survive in the wild and shouldn't be kept alive in captivity because they pass on the defect. It's regularly caused by inbreeding and most fish bought in pet shops are related.

You don't want to be adjusting the pH, GH or KG until the fry are at least 1 month old. If you want to syphon gunk off the bottom (there shouldn't be any yet), use a piece of airline as a syphon.

If the babies are dying straight after hatching, there is something wrong with the water and filtering it through carbon before using it might help.

You can use distilled water mixed with tap water to lower the pH, GH and KH. Distilled water is pure water and has a pH of 7.0, 0 GH and 0 KH. It can get expensive though.

Back
Top Bottom