Breeding peacocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
A while back I asked which of my species I should breed. I was thinking of doing Red Top Lwanda's but haven't been able to find any females.

I found a group of Neon Blue Chitindes for $4 each. Was thinking of breeding those instead. I wanted to breed something rare, something cool, and easy to breed.

I have also thought of breeding my Maylandi, or Ngara, idk.

What would you do.
(Only one is an option unfortunately)

Id love to breed my O. lithobates as well, because they are a VU species, but again, can't find females.

They aren't really rare but some high quality OB peacocks would be nice for breeding.

I haven't gotten tanks yet. I was going to get like a 30 long for breeding, and I have a 10 for fry.

You need at least a 40 breeder for the few suitable smaller species of peacocks, a 75 or larger for most others. Even 55's aren't much help, it's the 18" depth that makes 40 breeders and 75/90's more suitable. Single species in the 40, likely 2 in a 75. I keep ruby reds with maingano and perlmutts in a 90, and they all breed.
The 30 long would be better for growing out fry, they'll outgrow a 10 rather quickly if you have several broods.

The breeder will only have 1 male and 2 females in it. And I would be unloading fry quite quickly.
And actually the breeder would just hold two females. The male would get moved out and back into my show tank.
And the only difference between a 55 and a 75 is the width.

Yes, the only difference is the width, but the extra 6" makes a world of difference to the fish regarding territory space. You can try whatever you like, I'm just telling you what works in the long run.
Fry generally need to be at least 1" before they're large enough to move along.
If the female/s only produce a few fry each spawn it isn't a problem, but 2-3 females each producing 10-12 fry adds up quicker, and the first round usually won't be grown out before the next brood/s come along.
As far as keeping/spawning/growing out peacocks a bigger tank is always a better bet than a minimal setup.

I've breed similar sized fish in a 30 no problem. Besides, this is not what I posted this thread for.

Not my first go breeding Africans, I was just stuck on which one to breed. I'm not going to be to that point for a while anyway.

Back
Top Bottom