First post, risk of inbreeding guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabemg525

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Looking to breed guppies to try breeding for profit. I have a 29 gal somewhat heavily planted tank lots of stem plants, substrate fully covered, salvinia covers almost entire surface. I was wondering if it would be possible to breed 24k gold guppies from a single pair or trio. Would the later generations of guppies not be sellable? I was also thinking of getting two trios (4 female 2 male) is this a good ratio and would I still have an issue with too much inbreeding to be able to sell?

Looking to breed guppies to try breeding for profit. I have a 29 gal somewhat heavily planted tank lots of stem plants, substrate fully covered, salvinia covers almost entire surface. I was wondering if it would be possible to breed 24k gold guppies from a single pair or trio. Would the later generations of guppies not be sellable? I was also thinking of getting two trios (4 female 2 male) is this a good ratio and would I still have an issue with too much inbreeding to be able to sell?

The best way to keep a genetic line "pure" is to selectively breed the fish not allow them to breed willy nilly. The chances that your Guppies are a pure line or will breed 100% true is small so you will need more than one tank and you will need to breed only those fry that show the 24K gold genes. By doing this, you will strengthen the 24K genes in your line and eventually get to a fish that breeds true ( or close to true).
You'll do yourself some good if you research "line breeding" since you will be starting with more than a single pair. (y)
Hope this helps. (y)

Back
Top Bottom