Breeding yellow labs a

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydesilva

Aquarium Advice Activist
What size do yellow labs start breeding? I have a pair in my 75 gallon tank and I was wondering when they'll start breeding

About 3" is the smallest of MINE I have seen breed, i wouldnt say its impossible before then. But that's my experience.

Thats good to know. Purchased a pair of labs. one has a black fin w yellow does that mean its male because the other one just has a plain yellow fin im assuming shes a female?

Thats good to know. Purchased a pair of labs. one has a black fin w yellow does that mean its male because the other one just has a plain yellow fin im assuming shes a female?

Females can have the black too. As cool and pretty as yellow labs are there's so many
Cross bred/interbred and hybrids around its hard to find the real pure labs. And they're really hard to tell the sex visually even if they are pure and wild. They'll likely let you know sooner or later by their behavior!

How big are yours? "Normally" you'll find ur female will hide out or hang with other fish, your male will be a little aggressive as he's trying to claim some territory for himself. To properly sex them you'll have to "vent" them as they don't have any obvious body markings to tell us.

Correct. Male yellow labs have egg spots on the anal fin. This is common with many maternal mouthbrooders.

Labidochromis caeruleus are monomorphic, the only way to sex them is see the female carrying eggs or venting. Otherwise there is almost no chance to sex them accurately based on coloration.

Back
Top Bottom