Angelfish wigglers fungus help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jerelyn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Have 2 different breeder pairs of angels. 1st batch pair 1 batch got devoured.

2nd batch from pair 2 we removed into 10 gallon with aeration, 24 hr light, hydrogen peroxide every 12 hours. All died to fungus.

3rd batch in picture. Added more direct air, light, peroxide. Last night did a 25% water change as had wigglers. 8 hours ago there were many wigglers, some dead eggs and start of fungus. I didn't add peroxide.

What am I doing wrong? I can't keep the eggs with the parents as they are overly mean to start and with babies I'm sure would kill other breeding pair. They are in a 55 g bowfront. I'd really like to raise some babies but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240317_222738.jpg
    20240317_222738.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240319_092105.jpg
    20240319_092105.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240319_092106.jpg
    20240319_092106.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 2
Angelfish spawns are not always successful first time out as often there are distractions within the tank that causes the male to not be present in the spawning when the female is laying the eggs. Another common problem is when the pairs are not set up for spawning, they use things like the heater or uptake tube of a HOB filter. The heater cooks the eggs and the filter tube issue, I surmise, is the milt gets washed away before the eggs get fertilized. To get good spawns, the pair needs privacy. Privacy from other fish, privacy from human traffic and privacy from other pets. If they do not have this, you can expect lower numbers of fry per spawn.
There is an excellent old post here which turned into a discussion between hobbyist Angelfish breeders and professional Angelfish breeders such as myself. It's a long read but just about everything about breeding and keeping Angelfish was discussed on the thread. I suggest you read through it. Here's the link: https://www.aquariumadvice.com/threads/ wigglers-at-last.237956/ ( delete the spaces before the word wigglers for some reason the link does not work if I post it with no spaces :( )

Regarding your situation, Fungus is one of the biggest problems with eggs of any fish. This is what your setup should look like for hatching the eggs without the parents: Egg Hatching Diagram You want the air to be flowing in front of the eggs enough to keep dirt and debris off the eggs but not so much that is causes the eggs to blow off the spawn site.

There is no need to have lights on for 24 hours. In fact, no light at all is necessary to hatch Angel eggs. They don't need darkness either but until the eggs hatch, ambient light is fine.

There is also no need to change any water until the eggs hatch. If you were using something like Methylene Blue or Victoria Green then you would want to start the process of removing that about a day before the eggs are scheduled to hatch. With peroxide, no need to do anything regarding removing that.

If you want to post a pic of your full egg hatching setup, I may see other issues.
One last thing to keep in mind: Sadly the genetics of today's Angelfish are poor so hatch rates higher than maybe 75% are not going to be common. In my recent Angelfish hatchery, I found that the success rate of spawns were only 50%-60% of the hatched eggs would live long enough to be sold as small Angels vs in my old hatchery in the 1980s where the hatch rate was typically 90%-95% with a sell rate of 75%-80%. This means that you may not be doing anything wrong, it's the fish. :(
Hope this helps (y)

Last edited:
If you are getting fungus it sounds like there is not enough Hydrogen Peroxide. Andy might know the correct dose but I have heard 10 drops per gallon. Also a 10 gallon tank might be a little big. A 1 gallon jar would be ideal but a 2-1/2 or any small container will work.

If you are getting fungus it sounds like there is not enough Hydrogen Peroxide. Andy might know the correct dose but I have heard 10 drops per gallon. Also a 10 gallon tank might be a little big. A 1 gallon jar would be ideal but a 2-1/2 or any small container will work.
I start them off in a 10 but I only use 5 gallons of water in it until they hatch. ( You'll notice in my pics that all my tanks are measured and marked for actual gallons. ) It just makes it easier on the fry not being moved around until they are large enough to handle the moves better. In this pic, I had run out of hatching tanks :facepalm: so I doubled up 1 gallon bottles in the one tank so I only needed one heater. But sure, you can hatch the eggs in just about anything. I've even used 1/2 gallon jars when the spawn was really small as in the pic at the link to my albums. ( They became free swimming in there then were moved.)

old hatchery pics 023.JPG

As for how much peroxide, I've always used 1 ml / gallon. ( 5 ml is the mark on most of the liquid test vials so that makes it easier to measure. ;) (y) ) Drops are hard to compute as they are dependent on the size of the dropper.

Back
Top Bottom