Bullied Fish with Internal Bleeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BD8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi.

Can someone help me?

I introduced a 6 in. Albino Convict Cichilid into a tank with my two Green Terrors (which don't fight each other). It was fine all day yesterday and this morning, but then this afternoon I found it being dive bombed by the small 6 in. Green Terror (the other green terror is over 12 inches). The convict now has bruises along it side and it sort of swimming with it's head down. It also has a few red flecks in its fins. I have moved the convict out of the tank into another tank that is full of harmless fish like Neons, Gouramis and baby T-Bars.

I have treated with Mela-Fix, but I don't know what else to do!

That may be the best you can do for now--watch for infections and keep a count of your neons. It would be best if you had a QT tank, then you would not be unnecessarily treating the other fish.
IME, convicts are not that aggressive (I lost one to my Africans after it was in the tank for months). How large is the tank with the Terrors?

The Green Terror tank is a 48 in by 18in by 12in.

I know, the big green terror is a little large for that tank, but she's the calm one.

Can treating healthy fish cause them harm?

Mela-Fix is a natural extract and will not harm the other fish. However, if you were treating with antibiotics, then you would not want the other fish around (you don't want unsick fish building up a resistance to the antibody). Also, add some salt to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom