Bumblebee holding, what now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteWidow11

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just noticed today femail bumblebee is holding. I have a 55 with 15 mixed mbunas. I am filling a 30g right now and beginnings its cycle. What do I do now? Who do I move and when? so many questions, video coming soon!

Can you take some water and some seeded filter medium out of the 55 G to help speed the process of cycling? That's what I would do when I am setting up a new tank.

Can you set up a tank divider for now? Maybe 25% of your tank?

Good luck,

Julie

I'm not the biggest anit-hybrid guy but there are issues that could arise, do you know what the father is? Hybrids could have a behavior issues as far as aggression. So I never keep them unless I'm sure of what they are. This is the reason for a alot of problems with people selling fish back to the LFS. If theyre never going to leave your tank I'll get off my soapbox now.

Otherwise you have between 21-28 days before she spits either in the main tank or a holding tank. Your could strip her early but that's a little nerve racking if you've never done it before. Otherwise she will spit and guard for fry for a day or two and that's when youll place her back into the tank. I always return her at night to give her some time to relax after her ordeal.

I will be keeping them, my first spawning ever! I am going to use a filter that can use the same pad, will that be ok to put the whole old pad in there?

I am going to bring her cichlid stones too and use the same water, will that help with cycle? I could use a divider, but do I keep just mother seperated? Will this cause the male to be more agressive if he can't get to her and can't get away from other fish? Going to lfs, will check when I'm home

There is a very minimal amount of bacteria in water and your decor. The filter media is what you want to use for a instant cycle(so use your filter pads or related media). I prefer breeder sponges in my fry tanks since there is no chance for the fry to get sucked up. My breeder tanks are always running so I don't worry about cycle anymore but before I always kept a breeder sponge in one of my tanks or sumps, then it's just a matter of filling up the tank, adding a air line , and a heater to instantly cycle a tank.

Sorry been busy, here is the update.

Female is in her own 30g with 4 cichlid stones from other tank. Purchased a penguin 350 for 30g tank and heater, same as filter in main tank, so I could use the same media and have it for future tank upgrades. Filter uses two pads and two bio-weheels, so I'm using a pad and biowheel from the main tank and 1 new pad and biowheel. I used 30% old water to help match conditions, even though the new water was prettty close. She is doing good, still holding and just relaxing. Its tough to see the eggs in there but she still isn't eating and is still doing that munching motion with her mouth, so I'm assuming there still in there. What do I do from here? The slots on the intake look pretty small but what can I use to ensure they won't get sucked up?

Do you think water quality wise I will be ok in the qt?

Anything else I should know/expect? This is my first time through this and I want to keep these fry. They are my first ever, and feel it is an accomplishment for me. I am not selling to lfs, and have another 55g waiting. In future probably won't raise fry but I want the first batch.

Thanks!

So she just yawned, I saw the ribs of her gils or whatever with a flashlight.... mouth looked empty and no longer swollen now that I look at it. Can't find eggs anywhere. She also had some yellow poop, which is weird since she hasn't ate and maybe that's the eggs?

Should I put the male with her in the 30 or put her bank in the main tank and keep the 30 cycled if they spawn again? Any chance she is still holding or she spit somewhere since she is alone in the tank?

I got my hopes up despite the chance of a first time success.

Appears she is still holding, maybe swallowed some infertile but I see something in the everynow and then that looks like an eye.

Can someone explain the development of the egg so I know what I am looking for? I def don't see any eggs in there, and it is tough to find anything in there lol. After a while, I saw something.

Her mouth is def still droopy and she is acting like she has a mouthful.... time will tell.

Its so hard not to stare at the tank for hours! Please give me something to read lol.

Ok so I just looked at my 55........ OMG another fish holding! This time its my OB red zebra, she looks like she has a mouthfull, very swollen and not eating. Doesn't appear to be any males protecting her.

Can I put this girl in the 30 with my other holding female or let nature play its couse?

Disclaimer: I am not selling back to LFS and all fish/fry are staying in my house.

I just want to watch my fish complete their lifecycles,

How long do red zebras hold?

Thank you, I'm freaking out!

Males will never protect a female that holding, but they will hold for roughly 21-28 days. The mother will protect her young for a couple of days but after that they're fair game. If your going to add another female to a holding tank I would use a divider. They breed like crazy and unless your prepared to continually raise fry I would let the second one spit in the main tank.

I was thinking of letting her spit in main tank, I have put fish in there that were <1inch and they made it with all the rockwork.

My male bumblebee protected the female. It was amazing to watch. I even took a video. Hmm what to do.

Maybe I will pull her if she is still holding after 2 weeks.

Now I have my third fish pregnant in a week! This time its my rusty, and she's the only rusty. I'm gonna let nature play its course since they seem to be breeding a lot. Any idea why all of a sudden I have 3 fish holding?

Only thing that changed is I added a lot of crushed coral as there was very little gravel before and I knew they liked to dig a pit to attract females so maybe that's what started it?

Back
Top Bottom