Can somebody sex my baby Jack Dempsey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yardjass

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got this Jack about a week ago. It is about 2 inches, 1.5 without the tail. From what I have been able to find online, the rounded fins and large amount of blue color on the underside of the gill plates suggests that it is female. However, I have also read that these methods are not very reliable any more and sexing is especially difficult for babies. I have a male and female name picked out but I'm kind of held up because I don't know which it is. Does anybody know anything on this subject that I don't or can anybody sex it? Thanks :p

Attachments

• 1216102301.jpg
    1216102301.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 1210102132.jpg
    1210102132.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 124
I say you wait another 6 weeks or so and just sex it yourself. In 6 weeks you should be able to check out your fishes genital papilla (not trying to be funny).

Haha, nah its cool, thanks. Can you give me any idea of about how old it is right now?

Hard to tell. I am no expert; if that's 2", I'd say less than 6 months? Cichlids can broke different rates in different conditions/etc, so that's hard to say for me.

If I had to guess I'd say 4-6 months. Most of my cichlids are around that length at that age.

Back
Top Bottom