Aggressive Cherry Barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackB1990

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. So I have the fluvial flex 57l tank. Been setup for about 4 months now. Currently have only 4 tetras (planning on getting a few more) and 5 cherry barbs. One male and four females. Also have a few snails and shrimp. Tank is set up with a deep substrate of soil and sand with two pieces of driftwood and very heavily planted. So last week I introduced the 5 cherry barbs to the tank. Pretty much from day one the male was chasing all the fish. Not just the female barbs but the tetras as well. He spends most of his time hanging out in the shadows at the back of the tank and every so often will come out to chase one of more of the fish and dart right back to the back of the tank again. It's actually quite stressful to watch. This has been going on for a week or so now and I don't know what to do. Is it just a case of having to re home him or is there something I can do to calm the situation? Any help would be great,

Thanks,
Jack

It may settle down in time but he is just letting everyone else know he's king of the tank. If there are no physical damages to the other fish, I'd wait it out. If your other fish start to cower in the corner or show signs of stress from his chasing, he needs to go or else your other fish are going to decline to the point where they can come down with Ick or other diseases.

Hey thanks for your reply. Well I guess they are showing some of those signs already. Can't see any real damage to their fins but every now and then a couple of them hang out in the corners or under plants. If do have to remove him, I've no idea how I'm going to do it! He's way too fast and there are too many plants in the way. Thanks for your advice

Hey thanks for your reply. Well I guess they are showing some of those signs already. Can't see any real damage to their fins but every now and then a couple of them hang out in the corners or under plants. If do have to remove him, I've no idea how I'm going to do it! He's way too fast and there are too many plants in the way. Thanks for your advice

Use 2 nets. Place a larger net in a corner or open area and use a smaller net to help guide the fish into the larger net. This is the easiest way not to do much damage to your set up. The key is not to chase the fish but encourage the fish to go to the certain area where the catch net is. (y)

Back
Top Bottom