Cichlid color changing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helloelliee

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay so I got a cichlid 3 days ago and he was dark blue with yellow fins. Now he's a light blue almost silver color. What would cause his color to change like that so fast? I feed my cichlids hikari or what ever it is. I only have 3 in my 55 gallon tank and just checked my water yesterday. No ammonia or anything in my tank. My ph is around 7.2 which is low. I have to get something for that. Any suggestions on color changing of my fishy?

he probably changed his color because he was stressed, and do you have acei cichlids?

You know honestly I don't know. I got him out of an "assorted african" tank. I know I know you're not suppose to. But I felt bad for him! Why would he be stressed? He seems happy and swims with the other fish and everything

Your ph is too low. Africans need it higher and the lfs probably kept them in 8.0

Cichlid salt is a good buffer to raise ph but you need to try and maintain it. A continuous fluctuating ph can be very harmful and it needs to be adjusted slowly. What is your substrate and decor?

Okay I just added some malawi cichlid ph buffer. It says it maintains a ph of 7.8-8.3 It said to add a teaspoon for every 10-20 gallons of water...that's not very specific so I put 4 teaspoons in..is that too much or too little? Should I be testing it with my api with the high ph range now? Do I need to rebuffer with this stuff with every water change or how often? help):

What I used to do to keep my pH high was to leave crushed coral in my filter. You just need to measure it and see how much you need.

What brand did you get? Mine is 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.

You will need to add it every time you do a water change. DO NOT COMPENSATE FOR WATER THAT EVAPORATED OUT. Salt does not evaporate.

Helloelliee said:
Okay so I got a cichlid 3 days ago and he was dark blue with yellow fins. Now he's a light blue almost silver color. What would cause his color to change like that so fast? I feed my cichlids hikari or what ever it is. I only have 3 in my 55 gallon tank and just checked my water yesterday. No ammonia or anything in my tank. My ph is around 7.2 which is low. I have to get something for that. Any suggestions on color changing of my fishy?

It's not uncommon for Cichlids, or several other types of fish, to change color somewhat when changing environments. I agree that you may have a Yellow Tail Acei, or an Acei mixed breed. You never can tell on tanks simply labeled "African Cichlid" etc. I'm not sure I would worry about it, though. I have seen several Ps.Acei in stores that are a grayish light blue. Acei color up as they mature. Take the advice from other replies on the water conditions, though. BTW I have noticed a difference in color vividness since I changed to NLS Cichlid.

my acei ( my profile pic) was gray when i bought him, after a month or so he started to color up, and now he shows a ton of color. try adding limestone if your ph buffer doesnt work, but i wouldnt add the recommended dose all at once, i would add about half of the dose, and slowly go to the full dose.
hope this helps:)

Yeah I bought another fish from a Lfs last night that was blue then when I got him home he was white... Lol. Thanks everyone

Personally a ph 7.8 doesn't sound that bad, and I've alway read its best to go with what you've got and keep it stable.

Although it may shock the fish initially , they will get used to your 7.8. And be fine and happy. The trouble is when you start messing with your water chemistry it can become unstable , and you have to be so careful of fluctuations. As this is what will kill your fish.

Even fish that prefer soft water have been kept and even breed in hard water. The important thing is its clean and stable.

I wouldn't worry about your fish being a different colour. It takes time for them to settle in and feel comfortable. I had a peacock that it's beautiful, but showed no colour for the first month maybe.

I have taken a pic, but really doesn't do him justice. But it took me five minutes to get a picture, he was swimming all over the place. Lol so it will have to do.

Attachments

• image-3667266642.jpg
    image-3667266642.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 133
Not sure this is better? Lol

Attachments

• image-3235770777.jpg
    image-3235770777.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 107
I know it as a peacock, but I think hap is the proper name. Or are the two different things? Lol

garfy said:
They are different fish completely.Google electric blue hap and see if it's like yours.

I know. Electric Blue Hap came marked as an Acei (Yellow-Tail, I suppose). Initially I thought it was a Midnight Peacock, but someone here pointed me to the Electric Blue Hap.

. I Initially thought that peacock was a common name for a hap. But must be wrong
On second thoughts it does actually look like it could be a copadichromis azureus.

Back
Top Bottom